Surface brightness profiles: sech^2 fit in mag/arcsec^2 units?

In summary, The speaker has a question about converting surface brightness profiles from units of mag/arcsec^2 to magnitude units. They are trying to fit a sech^2 profile to the data, but when they plot it on a y-axis inverted for magnitude units, the profile appears upside-down. They ask for a quick solution and a source for future reference. They eventually solve the problem by converting the mag/arcsec^2 values to real luminosity density and then translating the fitted curve back to mag/arcsec^2 units. The speaker mentions that they have seen a magnitude version of the vertical disk sech^2 profile before, but cannot find it.
mdemone
Hi everybody, I have a very quick question about surface brightness profiles for an edge-on galactic disk.

I have surface brightness values (V-band, not that it matters) in units of mag/arcsec^2 as usual, as a function of z, which is the distance from the galactic disk's plane. I'd like to fit a typical sech^2 profile, usually quoted as:

I(z) = I(0)*(sech(z/z0))^2

where I(0) is the peak luminosity density and z0 is some scale height. Now this would be fine for me, except I'm working in magnitude units, i.e. the peak is something like 21 mag/arcsec^2 and it drops off quickly (for a thin disk) to ~30 mag/arcsec^2. Thus when I plot the above profile on a y-axis inverted for magnitude units, I get an upside-down profile that disappears off in the positive y-direction.

So my question, as dumb as it may be, is how do I convert the above density profile into magnitude units, i.e. I need mu(z) = mu(0) * some sech^2 function.

I know I've seen this form floating around somewhere before, but I can't find it and my first few attempts have been miserable. I really would appreciate just a quick answer for this simple problem.

Thanks in advance! Please mention a source if at all possible, either textbook or article or whatever, just for my own future benefit.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I solved it -- of course the easiest thing to do turned out to be converting the mag/arcsec^2 values into real luminosity density = L_sun/pc^2, then fitting the result and translating the fitted curve back into mag/arcsec^2 units.

Sort of awkward, but it seems to have worked without losing any information. I still could swear I've seen a magnitude version of the vertical disk sech^2 profile somewhere; ah well...

1. What is a sech^2 fit in surface brightness profiles?

A sech^2 fit is a mathematical function used to model the surface brightness profile of galaxies or other astronomical objects. It is based on the hyperbolic secant function and is commonly used because it closely matches the observed brightness distribution of many galaxies.

2. How is surface brightness measured in mag/arcsec^2 units?

Surface brightness is a measure of the amount of light per unit area from an astronomical object. It is typically measured in magnitudes (mag) per square arcsecond (arcsec^2). This unit allows for easier comparison between different objects and helps to account for the different sizes and distances of objects.

3. What is the significance of using sech^2 fits in surface brightness profiles?

The use of sech^2 fits in surface brightness profiles allows for a more accurate representation of the observed data. The function takes into account the effects of dust and other obscuring factors, as well as the intrinsic brightness distribution of the object being studied. It also allows for better comparison between different objects and helps to reveal underlying patterns or structures.

4. Are there any limitations to using sech^2 fits in surface brightness profiles?

While sech^2 fits are commonly used in surface brightness profiles, they are not always the best choice for every object. Some objects may have more complex brightness distributions that cannot be accurately represented by a sech^2 fit. In these cases, other mathematical functions may be more appropriate.

5. How are sech^2 fits determined for surface brightness profiles?

To determine a sech^2 fit for a surface brightness profile, astronomers use specialized software to analyze the observed data and find the best fit parameters for the function. These parameters include the scale length, central surface brightness, and shape of the sech^2 curve. The goal is to find the parameters that best match the observed data and provide the most accurate representation of the surface brightness profile.