Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SVD vs Eigenvalue Decompositon (Diagonalizability)

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    Okay, I know that if I can't get n linearly independent eigenvectors out of a matrix A (∈ℝnxn), it is not diagonalizable
    (and that some necessary conditions for diagonalizability in this regard may be being symmetric and/or having distinct eigenvalues.)
    This is how things are for the usual eigenvalue decomposition (A=SΛS-1), right?

However, if I am not mistaken, there is not such a restriction present on a matrix for being able to perform the SVD decomposition (A=UΣVT) on it. I mean, every matrix, irrespective of the state of its eigenvectors, can be decomposed into a three parts, one diagonal, two orthogonal, right? So doesn't this mean that every matrix is diagonizable, regardless of its eigenvectors?

I know that the answer to the question is no but I don't understand why we don't consider Σ to be a diagonalized form of A.
    Please correct me whereever I am mistaken..
    Thanks again.. :)
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2011 #2

Gold Member

U and V is different generally, so cannot be consider diagonalizable.
    Also, The diagonal entries of SVD is the square root of eigenvalue of A*A'(A'*A), so not the eigenvalue of A itself. They are the same iff A is normal.
  4. Jun 16, 2011 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Those are sufficient conditions, not necessary conditions.

5. Jun 19, 2011 #4

Gold Member

sorry... should be positive semidefinite.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?