1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Switching positions internally, what's the proper etiquette?

1. Sep 2, 2016 #1
    I have an opportunity to get me on my career path that I plan to stay in. The position is within the company I work for, and I think I have a good opportunity to get it.

As for etiquette, our company is generally business casual (button up/polo) but we get to wear jeans. However, on the day of the interview, do you think I should wear a suit?

Also, should I include a cover letter?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2016 #2

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I think this depends heavily on the manager you are hiring for me. My group is a shorts and t-shirt place. I don't care how my employees dress as long as it isn't terribly out of place. Thus, whenever I hiring internally in the company, I personally don't care if they dress up or the same. However, I'm very much aware of hiring managers who view dressing up as a sign that "someone really wants the job". I strongly believe in staying on the safe side. I doubt anyone will fault you for dressing up, but it may be that they fault you for dressing down.

4. Sep 2, 2016 #3
    What do you think about a cover letter?
    I think it might be a nice touch to explain that I really want the opportunity.

5. Sep 2, 2016 #4

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I've never written a cover letter in my life. I never ever plan too. Nevertheless, it probably wouldn't hurt.

6. Sep 2, 2016 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

+1 on that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted