Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Swollen Cedar River Floods Iowa Cities

1. Jun 13, 2008 #1

Staff: Mentor

Swollen Cedar River Floods Iowa Cities

The middle (midwest) part of the country has been getting hammered by storms recently. Apparently tornadic activity may set a record this year, and flooding in some cases is setting records.

One other serious side effect -
    The price of corn could approach $8/bushel, and some in Congress are rethinking the use of corn for ethanol.

Corn rises for eighth day to new high of $7.375
    Analysts say futures could touch $8 a bushel as flooding getting worse
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2008 #2
    I live, work, and go to school in central Iowa. I drive through des moines every day for school.

There are huge sections of the state totally underwater, it's scary to see how much has been totally engulfed.

There are TONS of fields totally underwater. I drove by about two miles of corn fields today, and the 6ft fence that surronds them couldn't be seen due to the water levels.

I have some pictures, I might upload a few later. I'm truly lucky my house is nowhere near any major bodies of water.
  4. Jun 13, 2008 #3
    Yeah, I also had to choose central Iowa for grad school...

It's actually sort of interesting for me, seeing familiar parks, golf courses, etc. all resembling lakes. I suppose I would be more personally annoyed if I lived on lower ground. So far it's just been minor inconveniences for me, having to take detours when I'm driving around. No one I know had to evacuate or anything, and as far as I know there haven't been any injuries or deaths. Heck, most of the parks have been drained by now, and are more or less accessible. I guess we got off easy.
  5. Jun 14, 2008 #4
    They evacuated a nice chunk of des moines this morning.

The rain seems to be pretty much over however, so things should start drying up soon.
  6. Jun 14, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now the problem just starts moving downstream. Problems for people all the way down the Mississippi.

This is the worst flooding in the Midwest I've seen since 1993. I was lucky to get through Des Moines that year. The interstate had been closed until the day before my trip and it started raining again the day I drove through Des Moines.
  7. Jun 14, 2008 #6

In Midwest, Rising Waters and Fears of Worse
    CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — All around the Midwest, the water just kept rising.
    I imagine that the cost will be more than the 1993 flood if this continues. A lot has developed in the last 15 years.

Could be more severe flooding downriver.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  8. Jun 16, 2008 #7

June 16, 2008
    In Midwest Floods, a Broad Threat to Crops
    The Iowa River flooded parts of University of Iowa, and the Cedar River flooded Cedar Rapids. However, downstream from these places are many other communities that face floodings, particular toward and along the Mississippi River.

The floods have affected farming areas in "the farming states of Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin and Minnesota have suffered an unusual level of flooding this year."

And it's not over.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?