What Is the Simplest Artistic Representation of Nucleotide Symbols ACGT?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, The conversation discusses the use of symbols to represent the four nucleotides in a piece of art or jewelry. The symbols are described as the benzene ring with a bump in certain places, and the conversation explores different options for creating these symbols, such as using cookie cutters or stamping them out of sheet metal. The conversation also touches on the importance of accurately representing the hydrogen bonds and structural elements in the design.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Looking of the simplest (almost abstract) representation of the DNA nucelotides
My brother is a gene scientist and wants a piece of art that contains the symbols of the four nucleotides ACGT.

He described the symbols as "really nothing more than the benzene ring with a bump in certain places".

What is the simplest possible way to symbolically represent them? (i.e. short of just using the letters "A","C","G" and "T").

These are overly complex:

1666572808077.png

These are pretty close but too simple - so simple that C and T are nigh indistinguishable, as are A and G.
1666572624047.png

and this is overly complex:

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
OK, so those symbols are all unique - unlike the ones I found.

(I should be clear, I'm not looking for art. I'm looking for the simple symbols so I can stamp them out of sheet metal.)

There are also cookie cutters:

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 7.27.34 PM.png

• Skeptical
Likes DaveC426913
BillTre said:
There are also cookie cutters:

View attachment 315943
OMG! That site has the world's worst search feature!

After 20 minutes I have only found C and G.

Even searching bakerlogy atcg thymine cookie cutter (which is the store and full name of the item) turns up 486 results and none of them are relevant.
Same with cytosine.

How does this site survive?

• Haha
Likes BillTre
Anyway, thank you. I can work with those.

I had to flip them around to match them up correctly:
1666581346348.png

per this:
1666581332928.png

So these will be stamped out of sheet metal ( as pairs, they will form the bases for potted plant holders that will be bound by inner and outer helices). Designing it in Blender.

I have to decide if the stamped design should include the (pink) pentose.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
The pink and blue form the backbone of each of the two strands. An unpolymerized monomer would be yellow-pink-blue.
Code specificity resides in the yellow parts.
I think the hydrogen bonds should be the closest parts of the two bases. They are holding the two parts of the molecule together. They look rotated to me.

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 8.41.00 PM.png

BillTre said:
The pink and blue form the backbone of each of the two strands.
Code specificity resides in the yellow parts.
You're right. The pentose is structurally part of the helix backbone, not the nucleotides. Thanks.

Likes BillTre

1. What are nucleotides and why are they important?

Nucleotides are the building blocks of DNA and RNA, the genetic material of all living organisms. They are important because they carry the genetic information that determines an organism's traits and functions.

2. What are the symbols used to represent nucleotides?

The symbols used to represent nucleotides are A, T, G, and C. These letters correspond to the four nitrogenous bases found in DNA: adenine, thymine, guanine, and cytosine.

3. How do nucleotides form a DNA molecule?

Nucleotides join together in a specific sequence to form a DNA molecule. The sugar and phosphate groups of one nucleotide bond with the complementary nitrogenous base of another nucleotide, forming a double helix structure.

4. What is the role of nucleotides in protein synthesis?

Nucleotides play a critical role in protein synthesis, as they carry the instructions for building proteins. The sequence of nucleotides in DNA determines the sequence of amino acids in a protein, which in turn determines its structure and function.

5. How do mutations in nucleotides affect an organism?

Mutations in nucleotides can have a variety of effects on an organism. Some mutations can be beneficial, leading to new traits or adaptations, while others can be harmful, causing genetic disorders or diseases. The severity of the effect depends on the location and type of mutation.