Synthesizing 2,6-xylidine from nitromesitylene in a lab

  • Thread starter Thread starter JeffEvarts
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lab
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
JeffEvarts
Messages
74
Reaction score
7
Lab production of 2,6-Xylidine appears to be difficult. Apparently either the production or reduction of 1,6-dimethyl nitrobenzene is "hard". Industrial production involves 50+ atmospheres of pressure, which falls far outside of my definition of "lab production".

I'm interested in taking a third approach: start with nitromesitylene.

Strategy 1: Somehow, magically, remove the methyl group that is para to the nitro group, then reduce the nitro group to an amine.
Strategy 2: Reverse the steps above: Reduce, then demethylate the aminomesitylene

My questions for all you "real" chemists out there:
  1. How do I remove the correct methyl group from nitromesitylene?
  2. What challenges do I face in reducing it to an amine? Reducing 4-nitrotoluene acid to 4-aminotoluene isn't too difficult, I hear. I assume the additional methyl groups are the cause of any difficulty?
Thank you in advance - Any help or pointers gratefully accepted
-Jeff Evarts
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
As this molecule is a precursor to lidocaine, we prefer not discussing its synthesis on PhysicsForums.

For more details, our guidelines concerning chemical activities can be found here.

Thread closed.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: JeffEvarts