Synthetic oil vs two stroke/cycle oil

• Thread starter Kerso1991
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, synthetic oil and two stroke/cycle oil are two different types of oils used for different purposes. Synthetic oil is a type of oil that is used for engines that require high performance and can withstand extreme temperatures. On the other hand, two stroke oil is added to the fuel to lubricate the engine and can also be synthetic. Each type of oil is application specific and there is no one ideal oil for all purposes. It is important to choose the right type of oil based on the specific needs and requirements of the engine.
Kerso1991
What is the difference in oils between "synthetic oil" and "two stroke/cycle oil", bearing in mind I known 2 cycle is for 2 strokes. "Synthetic oil" doesn't seem very specific and I don't know whether to use this instead of 2 cycle for any kind of engine and just for general use. And talking about general use oil for gears, bearings, shafts etc what kind of oil should I use

Any help would be useful

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil
Two stroke oil is added to the fuel to lubricate the engine on the way to being burnt with the fuel.
Two stroke oil can be synthetic.
The oil and any additives used is application specific. Synthetic oils are used when performance beyond that of natural oils is required. There is no one ideal oil for everything.

synthetic oil depending on the brand can be used in extreme temperatures where natural oils will freeze or become too viscus to flow through the engine. some brands are made to be penetrating oils as well so a thin film will be in the metal pores even after the oil has settled to the pan but this is not all synthetic oils and natural oil also does this to a lesser degree. as was said above no one oil is universal as in a fuel oil mix vs a lubricant oil which is not burnt off during combustion. synthetic oils are not always the better choice depending on the use but can be for other needs.

What is synthetic oil and how does it differ from two stroke/cycle oil?

Synthetic oil is a man-made lubricant that is chemically engineered to have specific properties and performance characteristics. It is typically made from a base oil, which is then mixed with various additives to improve its performance. Two stroke/cycle oil, on the other hand, is a type of mineral oil that is specifically designed for use in two-stroke engines. It is typically made from crude oil and does not contain any synthetic components.

Which type of oil is better for my engine?

The answer to this question depends on the specific engine and its intended use. Generally, synthetic oils are considered to be superior in terms of performance and protection compared to two stroke/cycle oils. However, two stroke/cycle oils may be more suitable for certain applications, such as in older engines or in low-performance two-stroke equipment.

Is synthetic oil more expensive than two stroke/cycle oil?

Yes, synthetic oil is typically more expensive than two stroke/cycle oil. This is because of the higher cost of production and the use of specialized additives. However, the longer service life and improved performance of synthetic oil can offset this cost in the long run.

Can I use synthetic oil in my two-stroke engine?

In most cases, yes, you can use synthetic oil in a two-stroke engine. However, it is important to check with the manufacturer's recommendations and ensure that the specific synthetic oil you are using is suitable for your engine. Some two-stroke engines may require a certain type of oil for optimal performance.

Do I need to change my oil more frequently if I use synthetic oil?

No, in fact, synthetic oils can often last longer than two stroke/cycle oils. This is because synthetic oils have a more stable molecular structure and are less prone to breakdown and oxidation. However, it is still important to follow the manufacturer's recommended oil change intervals for your specific engine.