Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System condition monitoring and maintenance

1. Nov 2, 2007 #1

in my engineering design class i've been set a short (1000 word) project on the ulysses space probe or more specifically system condition monitoring and maintenance for the mission. the trouble is, i dont really understand what that involves. can anyone enlighten me or direct me to some relevant material that will?

many thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2
    sorry, that question was probably quite vague. can someone tell me what type of sensors would be useful for condition monitoring inside a space probe? im having real trouble finding anything useful on the net; i've been searching article journals using the engineering village and web of knowledge databases to no (or at least very little) avail.
  4. Nov 5, 2007 #3

Science Advisor

From a mechanical standpoint, condition monitoring usually consists of

- temperature measurements
    - pressure measurements
    - proximity measurements
    - vibration measurements
    - flow measurements

The individual or combination of those can do pretty well in monitoring the well being of a system. What type of instrumentation you use depends on the system.

You may want to have an EE chime in on what thy would do on their side of things.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?