System of nonlinear algebraic equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a special system of nonlinear algebraic equations that has been mentioned in a book or article but cannot be found. The system consists of n equations and n unknowns and is in the form of elementary symmetric polynomials. It is also mentioned that the system can be solved by finding the roots of a certain polynomial.
Pere Callahan
Hello,

I came across a somewhat special system of nonlinear algebraic equations which I think must have been the subject of consideration in some book or article. I failed however to find such a resource, so I hope you can help out and point me somewhere.

The system consists of n equations and n unknowns [itex]x_1,\dots,x_n[/itex] and has the form
[tex]
\begin{align*}
c_1=&(-1)^{n}\left[x_1+\dots+x_n\right]\\
c_2=&(-1)^{n-1}\left[x_1x_2+\dots+x_1x_n+x_2x_3+\dots+x_{n-1}x_n\riight]\\
&\dots\\
c_n=&-x_1x_2\cdot\dots\cdot x_{n-1}x_n
\end{align*}
[/tex]

so that in the kth equation there is the sum of all possible products of k different x's. Has anybody seen this type of system before and know if it can be solved?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Your right hand sides are essentially the elementary symmetric polynomials. Your system of equations is nothing more than asking to find the roots of a certain (monovariate) polynomial -- see Wikipedia.

Thanks Hurkyl, I've never thought about it that way. That helps a lot.

What is a system of nonlinear algebraic equations?

A system of nonlinear algebraic equations is a set of equations that involve variables raised to powers other than 1, and may also involve trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions. These equations cannot be solved using basic algebraic methods and require more advanced techniques.

How is a system of nonlinear algebraic equations different from a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations involves variables raised to the first power only, and can be solved using basic algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination. Nonlinear equations, on the other hand, involve variables raised to powers other than 1 and require more advanced methods to solve.

What is the importance of solving systems of equations?

Solving systems of equations is important in many fields of science and engineering, as it allows us to find the values of unknown variables and understand the relationships between them. It is especially useful in modeling real-world situations and making predictions.

What are some methods for solving systems of nonlinear algebraic equations?

Some methods for solving systems of nonlinear algebraic equations include graphing, substitution, elimination, and using numerical methods such as Newton's method or the secant method. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the equations and the desired accuracy of the solution.

What are some real-world applications of systems of nonlinear algebraic equations?

Systems of nonlinear algebraic equations are used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to model and solve complex systems. Some examples include predicting the trajectory of a projectile, analyzing supply and demand in a market, and designing circuits in electrical engineering.