I don't recognize this limit of Riemann sum

• B
  • Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, we discussed the limit of Riemann Sum and the definition of the limit of the General Riemann Sum. The doubts were regarding the expression for the limit and how to bridge the gap. The key is to be specific and provide a specific example rather than a general definition. For instance, the difference between a definition of weather forecast and an actual forecast.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I look at the limit, and I look at the definition, and I don't match both concepts, though I should.
Hi, PF, I hope the doubts are going to be vanished in a short while:

This is the limit of Riemann Sum
##\displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow{\infty}}\displaystyle\frac{1}{n}\displaystyle\sum_{j=1}^{n}\cos\Big(\displaystyle\frac{j\pi}{2n}\Big)##

And this is the definition of the limit of the General Riemann Sum:
Let ##P=\{x_0,x_1,x_2,...,x_n\}## where ##a=x_0<x_1<x_2<\cdots{<x_n=b}##, be a partition of ##[a,b]## having norm ##||P||=\mbox{max}_{1\leq i\leq\n}\,Deltax_i##. In each subinterval of ##P## pick a point ##c_i## (called a tag). Let ##c=(c_1,c_2,...,c_n)## denote the set of these tags. The sum ##R(f,P,c)=\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n\,f(c_i)\Delta{x_i}=f(c_1)\Delta{x_1}+f(c_2)\Delta{x_2}+f(c_3)\Delta{x_3}+\cdot{f(c_n)\Delta{x_n}}## is called the Riemann sum of ##[a,b]## corresponding to partition ##P## and tags ##c##.

Doubts: On the expression ##\displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow{\infty}}\displaystyle\frac{1}{n}\displaystyle\sum_{j=1}^{n}\cos\Big(\displaystyle\frac{j\pi}{2n}\Big)##, how must I manage to bridge the gap?

Cosine.jpg

Riemann.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is specificity. In this case, it means the difference between a general definition and a specific example.

For example, the definition of a weather forecast is very different from an actual forecast.

Likes mcastillo356
Hi, PF, @PeroK, thanks a lot!

PeroK said:
The answer is specificity. In this case, it means the difference between a general definition and a specific example.

For example, the definition of a weather forecast is very different from an actual forecast.

Greetings.

1. What is a Riemann sum?

A Riemann sum is a method of approximating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and summing up their areas. It is an important concept in calculus and is used to calculate integrals.

2. How is a Riemann sum used to find limits?

A Riemann sum can be used to find the limit of a function by taking the limit as the width of the rectangles approaches zero. This results in an integral, which represents the exact area under the curve and can be used to find the limit.

3. What does it mean when someone says they don't recognize a limit of Riemann sum?

It means that they are unable to find the limit using the Riemann sum method. This could be due to the function being too complex or the limit being undefined.

4. Can a Riemann sum always be used to find a limit?

No, a Riemann sum can only be used to find a limit if the function is continuous and the limit exists. If the function is discontinuous or the limit is undefined, the Riemann sum method will not work.

5. Are there other methods for finding limits besides Riemann sum?

Yes, there are other methods such as L'Hôpital's rule, the squeeze theorem, and using algebraic manipulation. The method used depends on the function and the specific limit being evaluated.