Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of PDE's dealing with probability density

1. Aug 1, 2013 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hi guys,
    I must solve, I believe, 2 simultaneous PDE's where the unknown function that I must find represent a conditional density of probability. It is a function of 3 variables, namely x, y and t. So it is P(x,y,t).
    P(x|y,t) means that the density of probability of a certain function (called the potential function) has the value x at time t, knowing that it had the value y at time ##t_0=0##. Personally I prefer my own notation ##P(x,t|y,0)##.
    The 2 PDE's are:
    (1)##\frac{\partial P}{\partial t} = \frac{\sigma ^2}{2} \frac{\partial ^2 P}{\partial x^2}##
    (2)##\frac{\partial P}{\partial t}=\frac{\sigma ^2}{2} \frac{\partial ^2 P}{\partial y^2}##.
    The boundary conditions are 3 apparently. Namely that -infinity is a reflection point and B is an absorbing point.
    Mathematically they are ##P(-\infty, t |y,0)=0##, ##P(x,0|y,0)=\delta(x-y)## and ##P(x,t|B,0)=0## (where I'm not sure on the 3rd one, as you can see in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=703730).

The solution is supposed to be either one of these 2 functions (there's a typo in the book and I think the second one should be the correct one but I'm not 100% sure):
    [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}\sigma} \left [ \exp \{ -\frac{(x-y)^2}{2\sigma ^2 t} \} - \exp \{ - \frac{(x+y-2B)^2}{2\sigma ^2 t} \} \right ][/tex] (1st one)
    [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi t}\sigma} \left [ \exp \{ -\frac{(x-y)^2}{2\sigma ^2 t} \} - \exp \{ - \frac{(x+y-2B)^2}{2\sigma ^2 t} \} \right ][/tex] (2nd one, I think it's the correct solution).

Now I want to derive the correct solution. But I'm having very hard on how to apply the boundary conditions, especially because the value for y is when t=0 while the value for x is when t=t and there's only 1 t in the equations.

My first step anyway was to sum up the 2 PDE's. I fall over the heat equation in Cartesian coordinates: ##\frac{\partial P}{\partial t} = \frac{\sigma ^2}{4} \left ( \frac{\partial ^2 P}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 P}{\partial y^2} \right )##. By looking at the solution, separation of variables doesn't look like the way to go. Also I don't know how to apply the boundary conditions... any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2013 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

Actually none of the answers given in the book satisfy the diffusion equation...
    In other words, if ##P(x,y,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi t}\sigma} \left [ \exp \{ -\frac{(x-y)^2}{2\sigma ^2 t} \} - \exp \{ - \frac{(x+y-2B)^2}{2\sigma ^2 t} \} \right ]##, then I have showed that ##\frac{\sigma ^2}{2} \frac{\partial P ^2}{\partial x^2} \neq \frac{\partial P}{\partial t}##. Same for the other possible solution. None work.
    Any help to solve the diffusion equation with these strange boundary conditions is welcome.

Edit: NEVERMIND! The 2nd answer works!!!
    I still have to figure out how to show that the boundary conditions are satisfied, but at least the function given indeed satisfies the diffusion equation. Phew!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  4. Aug 4, 2013 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Problem solved. I've finally showed that the 2 boundary conditions as well as the initial conditions are satisfied. The book mistakenly called the 3 eq. boundary conditions though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook