Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of second order linear homogenous differential coupled equations

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1
    my question is: what is the general solution of this system of coupled diff. equations:

f ''i = Cijfj

C is a matrix, fj(z) are functions dependent of z.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2010 #2
    f ''i = Cijfj
    f ''i = Cikfk

===> Cijfj = Cikfk

Which means all the functions are just linear multiples of each other, and each is just a trigonometric function.

Are you using the Einstein summation convention? If so, you should specify that you are! The summation convention is not something that is commonly used in non-physics-related mathematics.

4. Apr 7, 2010 #3
    oh my bad.
    yes, i am using Einsteins's summarizing convention. By the way this is a physics related problem, i am analyzing waves propagating a periodic media with RCWA method.

5. Apr 7, 2010 #4
    It will be almost the same as a first-order equation.
    Guess

[tex]\vec{f}(t)=\vec{f}_{s}e^{st}[/tex]

Plug in and get:

[tex]s^{2}\vec{f}_{s}e^{st}=C \vec{f}_{s}e^{st}[/tex]

[tex](C-s^{2}I)\vec{f}=0[/tex]

So here s^2 are the eigenvalues of C. And each eigenvalue has two corresponding solutions with s and -s. I haven't seen treatment of different cases (complex s, multiplicity and such) but I guess it'll be the same as with the first-order analysis.

6. Apr 7, 2010 #5
    thank you for your answer, so is this correct?:

[tex]f_j=G_je^{i\sqrt{c_j}z}+H_je^{-i\sqrt{c_j}z}[/tex] where [tex]G_j and H_j[/tex] are integrating constants.. cj are eigenvalues of C and are complex..
    if so, one question remains... how are the indexes assigned to eigenvalues? i mean which eigenvalue will be c1....?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  7. Apr 23, 2010 #6
    anyone can answer me? please?

8. Jun 15, 2010 #7
    I am now providing a method to reduce the equation into system of 1st-order differential equations, so that you can use matrix exponential to solve it easily.

[tex]\mathbf{x}'= C \mathbf{y}[/tex]
    [tex]\mathbf{y}'=\mathbf{x}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d}{\text{dt}}\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    \mathbf{x} \\
    \mathbf{y}
    \end{array}
    \right)=\left(
    \begin{array}{cc}
    0 & C \\
    I & 0
    \end{array}
    \right)\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    \mathbf{x} \\
    \mathbf{y}
    \end{array}
    \right)[/tex]

After writing it into system of 1st-order differential equations, you can use matrix exponential to solve it. If you are not sure how to do it, please refer to the tutorial I have written here.

http://www.voofie.com/content/18/solving-system-of-first-order-linear-differential-equations-with-matrix-exponential-method/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Jun 15, 2010 #8
    ross, thank you very much, i will look into it

10. Jun 20, 2010 #9
    Welcome. Hope it can help you. Please inform us if you can solve your problem, or you have more question. I am willing to help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook