System of two differential equations with trigonometric functions

In summary: Any ideas?In summary, the conversation discusses a system of partial differential equations and the attempts to solve it using Maple and Mathematica. The expert suggests dividing one equation by the other to get a single ode for dy/dx and obtaining a numerical solution involving integrals. The individual asks for clarification on how to find x(s,t) and the expert suggests treating x as a function of two variables and using separation of variables to solve the equations.
mnb96
Hello,
do you have any strategy to suggest in order to solve the following system of partial differential equations in x(s,t) and y(s,t)?

[tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} = x - \frac{1}{2}\sin(2x)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial t} = y \; \sin^2(x)[/tex]

(note that the partial differentiation is always with respect to t).
In case it might be useful, I can safely assume that the codomain of x(s,t) and y(s,t) is [-1,1].

I already tried with Maple and Mathematica but they only give me numerical solutions.
An approximation would be ok for me, as long as I get a closed form for x and y.

I was also wondering if you think there might exist another system of coordinates in which this system is easier to solve

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might try dividing one equation by the other (left hand side by left hand side and right hand side by right hand side) and get a single ode for dy/dx. The result is of the form y'=f(x)*y.
I am surprised that mathematica is not able to solve this.

...it is also possible that I don't know how to use properly those packages, as I am a total beginner. For Mathematica I used the following syntax:
------ DSolve[{D[x[t], t] == x[t] - 1/2*Sin[2*x[t]], D[y[t], t] == y[t]*Sin[x[t]]^2}, {x[t], y[t]}, t]

while for Maple:
------ dsolve({diff(x(t), t) = x(t)-(1/2)*sin(2*x(t)), diff(y(t), t) = y(t)*sin(x(t))^2}, {x(t), y(t)})

With both packages I obtain a numerical solution involving integrals, which I guess indicates a failure in finding a closed form solution.

*** EDIT: ***
I tried to divide the first equation by the second, as you suggested and obtained:

[tex]y(x)=\pm \sqrt{\frac{-2x}{\tan(x)}+c}[/tex]

but now we only have y(x), and I guess we still need to solve the first differential equation in order to obtain x(t), am I right?
Am I also free to set c=0 ?

Last edited:
mnb96 said:
Hello,
do you have any strategy to suggest in order to solve the following system of partial differential equations in x(s,t) and y(s,t)?

[tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} = x - \frac{1}{2}\sin(2x)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial t} = y \; \sin^2(x)[/tex]

(note that the partial differentiation is always with respect to t).
In case it might be useful, I can safely assume that the codomain of x(s,t) and y(s,t) is [-1,1].

I already tried with Maple and Mathematica but they only give me numerical solutions.
An approximation would be ok for me, as long as I get a closed form for x and y.

I was also wondering if you think there might exist another system of coordinates in which this system is easier to solve

Thanks.

Are you looking for x(s, t) and y(s, t). Then you just integrate with respect to t surely.

x(s, t) = xt - t/2 sin(2x) + f(s)

y(s,t) = y t sin^2 (2x) + f(s)

where f(s) is a function of s.

Hi hawaiifiver...I am afraid something went wrong with your solution, because you treated x(s,t) as a constant, and did not take into account that x is a function of t.
For instance the solution of the simper differential equation
[tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} = x(s,t)[/tex]
is not tx(t,s). It is instead [itex]x(s,t)=e^t c(s)[/itex]

mnb96 said:
Hi hawaiifiver...I am afraid something went wrong with your solution, because you treated x(s,t) as a constant, and did not take into account that x is a function of t.
For instance the solution of the simper differential equation
[tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} = x(s,t)[/tex]
is not tx(t,s). It is instead [itex]x(s,t)=e^t c(s)[/itex]

Perhaps you could elaborate on how you found x(s,t). I thought of x as a function of two variables, i.e. s and t.

The first equation, in x, is separable. Once you have x, including an arbitrary function of s, substitute that into the equation for y which become separable. I don't see how to do the first integration of 1/{x-sin(2x)/2}.

1. What is a system of two differential equations with trigonometric functions?

A system of two differential equations with trigonometric functions is a set of two equations that involve derivatives and trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations are used to model real-life situations in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How do you solve a system of two differential equations with trigonometric functions?

The first step in solving a system of two differential equations with trigonometric functions is to rewrite the equations in standard form, where all derivatives are on one side and all other terms are on the other side. Then, use substitution or elimination methods to solve for the variables. Finally, use the initial conditions to find the specific solutions.

3. What are the applications of systems of two differential equations with trigonometric functions?

Systems of two differential equations with trigonometric functions are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. They can be used to model the behavior of physical systems, predict the growth of populations, analyze economic trends, and more.

4. Can a system of two differential equations with trigonometric functions have multiple solutions?

Yes, a system of two differential equations with trigonometric functions can have multiple solutions. Depending on the initial conditions and the nature of the equations, there can be multiple sets of solutions that satisfy the equations. These solutions can also be periodic, meaning they repeat after a certain interval of time.

5. Are there any techniques for solving particularly difficult systems of two differential equations with trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are advanced techniques such as the Laplace transform and Fourier series that can be used to solve more complex systems of differential equations with trigonometric functions. These techniques involve converting the equations into different forms and using advanced mathematical concepts to find the solutions.