System simplification through state space

In summary, the speaker is working on a project involving a non-linear system and needs to separate the linear and non-linear parts. They were able to obtain the state space of the system using linmod command in Matlab, but are unsure of how to get the output from the state space matrices. They are wondering if using the transfer function would simplify the system or if they misunderstood the purpose of the space state representation. The problem is made easier by the fact that the nonlinear part is modeled by a variable capacitor.
Guillem
Hi guys!

I study Electrical Engineering and, don't-know-why, I don't know anything about state space. Now I'm working on a project where I have a non-linear system. The first task in the project is to separate the linear and the non-linear part of this system, and then obtain the state space for the linear part in order to "simplify" it (that is at least what I understood).

So... I obtained the state space of the system (using linmod command in Matlab, easy) but now I wonder how I'm supposed to get the output (of the linear system) from the space state matrices.

· Would it be a reduction/simplification if I use the transfer function?
· Or I misunderstood something and it's impossible to simplify the system by its space state representation?

Thank you very much.

Guillem

Astronomy news on Phys.org
How exactly is the problem worded? In general one cannot separate the linear part from the nonlinear part unless one is told to make certain assumptions.

Likes Guillem
In this case is easy, because the nonlinear part is modeled by a variable capacitor. So, the whole system can be separates in two series system, the first one linear, and the second one the capacitor with nonlinear respone.
Once separates I've to focus on reduce, using the state space, the linear system

1. What is "system simplification through state space"?

System simplification through state space is a mathematical technique used to model complex systems by simplifying them into a set of differential equations. These equations describe how the system's state variables change over time, making it easier to analyze and control the system.

2. How does state space representation simplify a system?

State space representation simplifies a system by reducing it into a set of first-order differential equations. This allows for easier analysis and control of the system, as well as providing a clearer understanding of the system's behavior.

3. What are the benefits of using state space representation?

The benefits of using state space representation include being able to model complex systems, easily analyze system behavior, and design controllers for the system. It also allows for the inclusion of disturbances and noise in the system, making it more realistic and accurate.

4. What are the limitations of state space representation?

State space representation has some limitations, such as the assumption that the system is linear and time-invariant. It also requires knowledge of the system's initial conditions and input signals, which may not always be readily available. Additionally, it can be computationally expensive for large-scale systems.

5. How is state space representation used in real-world applications?

State space representation is widely used in various fields, including control systems, robotics, economics, and physics. It is used to model and control complex systems such as aircraft, spacecraft, and industrial processes. It is also used in economic models to analyze and predict market behavior.