1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System simplification through state space

1. Nov 24, 2016 #1
    Hi guys!

I study Electrical Engineering and, don't-know-why, I don't know anything about state space. Now I'm working on a project where I have a non-linear system. The first task in the project is to separate the linear and the non-linear part of this system, and then obtain the state space for the linear part in order to "simplify" it (that is at least what I understood).

So... I obtained the state space of the system (using linmod command in Matlab, easy) but now I wonder how I'm supposed to get the output (of the linear system) from the space state matrices.

· Would it be a reduction/simplification if I use the transfer function?
    · Or I misunderstood something and it's impossible to simplify the system by its space state representation?

Thank you very much.

Guillem

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2016 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

How exactly is the problem worded? In general one cannot separate the linear part from the nonlinear part unless one is told to make certain assumptions.

4. Nov 25, 2016 #3
    In this case is easy, because the nonlinear part is modelled by a variable capacitor. So, the whole system can be separates in two series system, the first one linear, and the second one the capacitor with nonlinear respone.
    Once separates Ive to focus on reduce, using the state space, the linear system

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted