T-shirt with a force and momentum pun from Adler Planetarium

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Year
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 3K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Messages
32,819
Reaction score
4,724
I tend to buy at least 1 geeky t-shirt a year, just for the heck of it. I can't not buy this one when I saw it last week at the Chicago's Adler Planetarium during their Members Night.

IMG_3169.JPG


Most of the people I was with didn't get it. I mean, they knew that it has to be "Force", but they couldn't make the connection. So of course I had to explain to them that mv = p, and that the most general form of Newton's Second Law (F=ma) is F = dp/dt, which is F = d/dt (mv).

You could hear crickets after I explained that, and then followed by "oooohhh..." before they walked away shaking their heads.

Which meant that I just HAD to buy the shirt!

I wonder how many of the planetarium guests had the same puzzled look when they saw the shirt. Maybe that's why the shirt was on SALE! :)

Zz.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, jbriggs444, DennisN and 10 others
Physics news on Phys.org
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: jbriggs444, DennisN, russ_watters and 7 others
ZapperZ said:
I tend to buy at least 1 geeky t-shirt a year, just for the heck of it. I can't not buy this one when I saw it last week at the Chicago's Adler Planetarium during their Members Night.

View attachment 243290

Most of the people I was with didn't get it. I mean, they knew that it has to be "Force", but they couldn't make the connection. So of course I had to explain to them that mv = p, and that the most general form of Newton's Second Law (F=ma) is F = dp/dt, which is F = d/dt (mv).

And they used the vector expression, which somehow makes it even geekier.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jack action and berkeman
Here's a wacky (and yes - appallingly precocious!) T-shirt idea I thought of and my sister-in-law actually designed. It goes with the Insights article I wrote on the Balmer Alpha line. The pots at the top are the family's unflattering opinion of me!

T-shirt Design.jpg
 
Where is the model showing off the 1963 shirt now? Probably close to 77 years old...

And what is a "'snow' gift"?
 
gmax137 said:
"'snow' gift"?
"Snow," transitive slang verb; to "blitz," as in "snow under" with erudition.
 
  • Skeptical
Likes   Reactions: gmax137
https://www.cafepress.com/+bobs_school_of_quantum_mechanics_bbq_apron,64349543
1579649857267.png

1579649841701.png


When I was a summer student at Fermilab, I found this "ad" for "Bob's School of Quantum Mechanics" (i think it's originally from the "Purdue Engineering Magazine")... i think it was on someone's wall. So, I photocopied it... then later scanned it and digitally touched up what I could. I made a copy available on my university website when I was in grad school. I see it has made the rounds... and is now in someone's CafePress store.
(Someone must have a higher quality copy... maybe someone at Purdue can look though old issues of the magazine.)
 
I just bought 2 more geeky t-shirts.

I'm going to wear this tomorrow since we will be doing Ohm's law.
IMG_3656.JPG


And then, in a few weeks, when we will do magnetic induction and force on currents, I'll be wearing this!
IMG_3658.JPG


See all the things we instructors do for our students?

:biggrin::smile:

Zz.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: nsaspook, gmax137 and BillTre
I don't think I've ever seen that second, "gang sign" shirt. That's really good!

EDIT: I looked for them on line. Quite a few of the offerings are done with a left hand :headbang: o:)
 
gmax137 said:
I don't think I've ever seen that second, "gang sign" shirt. That's really good!

EDIT: I looked for them on line. Quite a few of the offerings are done with a left hand :headbang: o:)

There IS the Fleming Left Hand Rule, so that is correct as well.

Zz.
 
ZapperZ said:
I'm going to wear this tomorrow since we will be doing Ohm's law.
I have a blue T-shirt with that message text, but no big Omega symbol. I got weird enough looks the first time I wore it to work that I decided not to do that anymore. It's now a workout shirt...

(The engineers who saw it at work smiled or smirked, but all the support folks were a bit intimidated by it, not understanding the humor...) o0)