Take non-required classes or spend more time on research?

In summary, the individual is considering taking non-required classes that may help with their overall GPA, but they are unsure if they should prioritize those classes over spending time on research. They are also wondering if it is common for students to work on two projects at once and if these classes would be helpful towards their research in astrophysics. The classes they are considering include senior-level statistics, Quantum II, and a scientific computing course, and they believe the statistics and computing courses may be beneficial for their research. However, they also mention that their research is not very demanding and may not lead to strong recommendations. The individual is seeking advice on how to best utilize their time and whether they should prioritize taking these classes or focus solely on research.
Simfish
Gold Member
Okay, so there are some non-required classes that I'd like to take (that would probably help with my overall GPA). But in the end, is it better if I simply spend those hours in research, if those classes might interfere with my research output?

Here's a big thing though: my *total* overall output would be higher if I took a full classload and did research, simply because it would motivate me to work harder (and waste less time).

Also, is it uncommon for students to work on two projects at once? (especially if a professor is often absent?)

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your degree? What are the classes? Are they helpful towards your research? How much time does your research demanding?

Astrophysics. Classes I'm considering: Senior-lvl statistics, Quantum II, a scientific computing course (in atmospheric sciences) where you use models. The stat and sci computing courses might help with research (the quantum II one probably won't). I'll self-study some Quantum II for the Physics GRE anyways.

My research isn't that demanding, but non-demanding research isn't going to give me stellar recs.

I would suggest the statistics and scientific computering if you think it's going to help that much. Otherwise, unless you feel the Quantum II will be helpful or you really want to do it. Keep the slot open for research or studying.

Stats would be very helpful if you are going to pursue astrophysics. When you are settling into a field in which observations are key (as in astronomy/astrophysics) you need to be able to sort through data and try to make sense of it, and justify your findings. Just my take. YMMV.

1. Should I take non-required classes or spend more time on research?

It ultimately depends on your personal goals and priorities. If you are interested in pursuing a career in research, spending more time on research may be beneficial. However, if you are interested in a well-rounded education or exploring other subjects, taking non-required classes can also be valuable.

2. Will taking non-required classes affect my research opportunities?

Not necessarily. Many universities and research institutions offer opportunities for students to participate in research regardless of their course load. Additionally, taking non-required classes can provide valuable skills and knowledge that may benefit your research.

3. Can I do both - take non-required classes and spend time on research?

Yes, it is possible to balance both. However, it may require good time management skills and prioritization of tasks. It is important to communicate with your advisor or mentor to ensure you are meeting the requirements for your research while also taking non-required classes.

4. Will taking non-required classes delay my graduation?

It depends on how many non-required classes you take and how they fit into your graduation requirements. It is important to plan ahead and work with your academic advisor to ensure you are on track to graduate on time.

5. How do I decide which option is best for me?

Consider your goals, interests, and priorities. Think about the skills and knowledge you want to gain and how each option can help you achieve that. You can also speak with your academic advisor, mentor, or peers for their insights and advice.