Taking 3 courses per semester and graduate admission

In summary, the speaker is a senior undergraduate student majoring in mathematics and is considering taking only 3 courses per semester instead of the usual 5 in order to spread their last 10 courses over two years and save money. They are wondering if this will negatively affect their graduate school application, particularly for biology programs. The expert summarizer explains that while in most cases it won't matter, the reasons for reducing the course load could be a factor in the admissions decision. The speaker also considers taking additional elective courses to make a full-time course load, but is unsure if this will make a significant difference. They also mention that they cannot find the edit button on the forum.
wj2cho
Hello forum,

I will be an undergrad senior majoring in mathematics. Instead of taking the ordinary 5-course workload, I am thinking of doing 3 courses per semester and postpone graduation by an year. But I am wondering if by doing so my graduate application is going to be affected negatively. I know law schools and med schools require full course load each term, but how about "average" graduate schools for biology?

Physics news on Phys.org
In most cases it probably won't matter, but a lot can depend on your reasons. If you are cutting down on classes because you are also holding down a part time job, or are the primary care giver to a family member, or are a student athlete, etc. then no one is likely to fault you. But the people on admissions committees know the game very well and if you are reducing your course load because you can't hack a full course load, there is a good chance they will see that. Some may forgive it. Some may not. But if you do get into a grad program, you'll likely be facing a full workload then.

Thanks for the reply!

I could easily fill in "birdy" elective courses (like music or introductory french) to make a full time course load, I am just seeing if I could save $3k by spreading my last 10 courses over two years. Other than that there is no particular reason for taking three courses per term, unless they view that taking one grad level course per term is justifiable for this.

I can't find the edit button so I am writing this here.

P.S. Would you say 4 courses per semester look much better than 3 courses?

1. Can I take 3 courses per semester and still be eligible for graduate admission?

Yes, it is possible to take 3 courses per semester and still be eligible for graduate admission. However, it is important to check with the specific graduate program you are interested in to confirm their specific requirements and expectations for course load.

2. Will taking 3 courses per semester affect my chances of getting accepted into a graduate program?

It depends on the graduate program you are applying to. Some programs may prefer applicants who have taken a heavier course load, while others may value the quality of your coursework and extracurricular activities more than the quantity. It is important to research the specific program's admissions criteria to determine if taking 3 courses per semester will affect your chances.

3. Are there any benefits to taking 3 courses per semester for graduate admission?

Taking 3 courses per semester may allow you to focus more on each course and potentially earn higher grades, which can strengthen your application for graduate admission. It can also give you more time for extracurricular activities or internships, which can enhance your resume and make you a more competitive applicant.

4. Can I take more than 3 courses per semester and still be eligible for graduate admission?

Yes, it is possible to take more than 3 courses per semester and still be eligible for graduate admission. Again, it is important to check with the specific graduate program you are interested in to confirm their requirements and expectations for course load. It is also important to consider your own workload and ability to balance multiple courses while maintaining a strong academic record.

5. Will taking 3 courses per semester delay my graduation and admission into a graduate program?

This depends on your individual academic plan and the requirements of the graduate program you are applying to. Some programs may only accept applicants who have completed their undergraduate degree within a certain timeframe, while others may allow for a longer period of time. It is important to plan your course load and graduation timeline accordingly, and communicate with the graduate program about any potential delays in your graduation and admission.