1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking a Leave of Absence from Graduate Studies

1. Apr 18, 2009 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Has anyone done this?

I've been thinking about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Lots of people do this. Only a small fraction come back - something to keep in mind.

4. Apr 19, 2009 #3
    This may be somewhat off topic... but why are you considering this?

The reason I ask is because over the years I sort of "followed" you on these forums, ever since way back when you were struggling with Spivak. That is, you asked a lot of things I was going through at the same time. And what grad school are you at, if you don't mind.

5. Apr 19, 2009 #4
    I've done it. I was intending to quit, but fortunately, my advisor insisted that I should just ask for a leave of absence instead. After a year, I came to my senses and came back and finished.

6. Apr 19, 2009 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Cool, I was thinking of just taking a year too.

My supervisor will kill me too.

My buddy dropped out of his Master's just awhile ago.

It's not what I thought it would be either. My supervisor is great, but I feel like I need time off. Last year, I even told my supervisor I did not want to do my Master's yet. I wanted time off, and he insisted I do it. And now I'm here, not really enjoying it right now.

7. Apr 19, 2009 #6

turbo

Gold Member

All the best to you Jason, but let me warn you: a lot can happen in a year. It's understandable that you tell yourself that you'll come back to grad school, but if you get into a serious relationship or start pursuing a career that interests you (even temporarily) you may find yourself making compromises that make it hard to jump back into grad school. I hope you stick with grad school - an advanced degree might be pretty valuable in the job market in the next 5-10 years and ongoing. Good luck whatever you decide.

8. Apr 19, 2009 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, I'm going to talk to my supervisor about it. I do understand that lots can change, and I'm fine with that. I also know that if I don't come back in a year, I probably never will.

Lots have been going on in the term where I couldn't get work done properly. I feel like it's not going the way it should. I want the year off to take time and study basically. I just don't want to be bounded by any school related stuff. That's all. I don't care about the funding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook