Taking a Leave of Absence from Graduate Studies
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 35,014
- 21,725
Lots of people do this. Only a small fraction come back - something to keep in mind.
Howers
- 443
- 6
This may be somewhat off topic... but why are you considering this?
The reason I ask is because over the years I sort of "followed" you on these forums, ever since way back when you were struggling with Spivak. That is, you asked a lot of things I was going through at the same time. And what grad school are you at, if you don't mind.
The reason I ask is because over the years I sort of "followed" you on these forums, ever since way back when you were struggling with Spivak. That is, you asked a lot of things I was going through at the same time. And what grad school are you at, if you don't mind.
TMFKAN64
- 1,121
- 22
I've done it. I was intending to quit, but fortunately, my advisor insisted that I should just ask for a leave of absence instead. After a year, I came to my senses and came back and finished.
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 2,394
- 4
TMFKAN64 said:I've done it. I was intending to quit, but fortunately, my advisor insisted that I should just ask for a leave of absence instead. After a year, I came to my senses and came back and finished.
Cool, I was thinking of just taking a year too.
My supervisor will kill me too.
My buddy dropped out of his Master's just awhile ago.
It's not what I thought it would be either. My supervisor is great, but I feel like I need time off. Last year, I even told my supervisor I did not want to do my Master's yet. I wanted time off, and he insisted I do it. And now I'm here, not really enjoying it right now.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
All the best to you Jason, but let me warn you: a lot can happen in a year. It's understandable that you tell yourself that you'll come back to grad school, but if you get into a serious relationship or start pursuing a career that interests you (even temporarily) you may find yourself making compromises that make it hard to jump back into grad school. I hope you stick with grad school - an advanced degree might be pretty valuable in the job market in the next 5-10 years and ongoing. Good luck whatever you decide.
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 2,394
- 4
turbo-1 said:All the best to you Jason, but let me warn you: a lot can happen in a year. It's understandable that you tell yourself that you'll come back to grad school, but if you get into a serious relationship or start pursuing a career that interests you (even temporarily) you may find yourself making compromises that make it hard to jump back into grad school. I hope you stick with grad school - an advanced degree might be pretty valuable in the job market in the next 5-10 years and ongoing. Good luck whatever you decide.
Well, I'm going to talk to my supervisor about it. I do understand that lots can change, and I'm fine with that. I also know that if I don't come back in a year, I probably never will.
Lots have been going on in the term where I couldn't get work done properly. I feel like it's not going the way it should. I want the year off to take time and study basically. I just don't want to be bounded by any school related stuff. That's all. I don't care about the funding.
Similar threads
- Dishsoap
- · Replies 6 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 6
- eddiemon
- · Replies 11 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 11
- Violagirl
- · Replies 2 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 2
- ZapperZ
- · Replies 13 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 13
- Dangerous Dan
- · Replies 1 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 1