1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking Calc 2 in the summer - good or bad idea?

1. Jan 15, 2012 #1
    Hi,

Has anyone taken calc 2 at a CC in the summer? I'm thinking of doing it so I can get to calc 3 faster. I'm worried that it might be too fast and I won't be able to absorb the material which will prepare me for calc 3. If this is too vague, I'll elaborate ;).

Thanks,

S

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2012 #2
    How many weeks will the class be?

4. Jan 15, 2012 #3
    I did, wasn't too bad, got a B. Half the tests were take home though. I don't think I learned the material that well, and I probably couldn't tell you if a series converged, or how to do more complicated integrals. However, I feel like those two topics can easily be looked up, and I just use matlab to do my integrals now anyways.

Don't worry about calc 3, it really doesn't build off calc 2. Calc 2 is all about series and techniques of integration. I'm assuming the class is 6-8 weeks.

5. Jan 15, 2012 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What I think RugbyEng means that at his school, Calc 3 doesn't build on Calc 2. There's a great degree of variation in what is taught when.

6. Jan 15, 2012 #5
    I think you'll be okay. I had an easy professor for my calc II class the fall before last, and I didn't absorb much from the class. I'm in differential equations now and I don't find myself needing anything from calc II, except integration by parts, integration by partial fraction decomposition, and some familiarity with infinite series. Everything to do with calculus in parametric coordinates was retaught in my statics class.

But at least in my experience there's little overlap between calc II and calc III, except the integration techniques and the familiarity gained by exposure to parametric calculus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook