1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking Calculus 3 first and then Physics Electromagentism?

1. Nov 29, 2012 #1
    I have already completed Calculus 1 and 2 but I was wondering if it would be a better idea to take calculus 3 first and then phsyics electromagnetism. I know that electromagnetism deals with a lot of integration but does it deal with double and triple integrals? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2012 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If it's the second semester of a typical "freshman physics" sequence, you probably don't need Calc 3 beforehand. You will use line, surface and volume integrals, but mainly for conceptual purposes. In most examples and problems, the integrals will be trivial from a mathematical point of view. This may vary from one school to another, so if you're really worried, talk to the instructor about it beforehand.

If it's a junior/senior level E&M course using, say, Griffiths as a textbook, on the other hand...

4. Dec 5, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

5. Dec 6, 2012 #4

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

I think i took them at the same time and it didnt seem to hurt or help. I recall calc 2 being much more helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook