Taking in-person and online classes at two colleges at the same time?

In summary, the person is currently enrolled in a college that does not offer the desired class online. They are wondering if they can take the class online at a different college while still being enrolled at their current college. It is possible to do this within state schools, but there may be limitations on the number of units that can be transferred. It is recommended to speak with the registrar's office and department adviser for more information.
HP5182949
I am currently in a college. And the college that I am currently at doesn't offer the class online. Can I go to a different college to take the classes online, and still be at the same college I'm at? I need the class online, it makes my school life and work life function more smoothly.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you’re in the US, you need to talk (or email or whatever) to someone in the registrar’s office at your college. Different colleges have different policies about this sort of thing.

Likes Vanadium 50
jtbell said:
If you’re in the US, you need to talk (or email or whatever) to someone in the registrar’s office at your college. Different colleges have different policies about this sort of thing.
It is usually possible in state schools in the same "network." Ie., in California, it is possible to do this within the cal state, and UC system. But they usually cap the units in which you can do this. Like jtbell said, registrar's office is place with the answers.

It can also depend upon if you came up through a community college into a university setting (typical for some state college systems). Many schools have an upper limit of how many courses they will accept from other schools (often including instate community colleges as mentioned by Midgetdwarf by capping your transfer credits) and that limit is typically 60 semester credits.

If you have been attending this school as a freshman, this would not typicaly apply and if the course is from another accredited school, you should have a good case for having the class approved towards your degree.

However, you may have more difficulty if the class is in your major and your department has poor opinions of the school and the course. As jtbell stated, talk to your regestar and your department adviser.

1. Can I take in-person and online classes at two colleges simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to take classes at two colleges at the same time. However, it is important to carefully plan your schedule and ensure that the classes do not overlap.

2. Will my credits transfer between the two colleges?

This depends on the policies of the two colleges. It is important to research and communicate with both colleges to ensure that your credits will transfer.

3. How will I manage the workload of classes at two colleges?

Taking classes at two colleges can be challenging and requires good time management skills. It is important to create a schedule and prioritize your coursework to ensure you can handle the workload.

4. Are there any financial considerations when taking classes at two colleges?

Yes, there may be additional costs associated with taking classes at two colleges, such as transportation between campuses and fees for each college. It is important to factor in these costs when making your decision.

5. Can I receive financial aid for classes at both colleges?

This depends on the policies of the colleges and your eligibility for financial aid. It is important to communicate with both colleges and the financial aid office to determine your options for receiving aid for classes at two colleges.