Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Tally of all types of energy in the nucleus

1. Dec 16, 2016 #1
    Has anyone ever tried to tally the complete energy associated with an atomic nucleus. For example, here is a partial list:

Total electric repulsion of protons within a nucleus
    Total kinetic energy of protons with a nucleus
    Total color-charge potential energy within a nucleus

Kinetic energy due to quarks within a nucleus?
    If the protons are in motion, would they contribute a magnetic energy to the nucleus of the atom?
    If the quarks are in motion, do they contribute a magnetic color energy to the nucleus?

Question marks mean that I am not sure if the question even makes sense.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The semi-empirical mass formula splits the nuclear interactions into several groups. Note that those groups are somewhat arbitrary.
    The mass of the protons comes from QCD binding energy (99%) and the mass of the quarks (1%). It is possible to split up the QCD binding energy in something that looks like a kinetic energy of the quarks, but that is problematic.

The overall nucleus can have a magnetic field. It doesn't make sense to look for individual protons (or neutrons) as origin - they are indistinguishable, you cannot say "proton 1 did that". It is produced by the whole nucleus.

4. Dec 18, 2016 #3
    Excellent! That is what I am looking for. I will read through it and see if I have any other questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted