1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tarzan vine Conservation of Energy

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 17 meter long vine hangs vertically from a tree on one side of a 10 meter wide gorge, as shown in the figure. Tarzan runs up, hoping to grab the vine, swing over the gorge, and drop vertically off the vine to land on the other side

2. Relevant equations

PE = mgh
    KE = 1/2mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Since energy has to be conserved, I tried setting to two equations equal to each other. In other words, the kinetic energy he had as he jumped onto the rope, and the potential energy he has at the top of his swing when he isn't moving.

I got stuck because I can't find 'h', therefore I can't find 'v'

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2
    use right angle triangle to find hypoteneuse using 17 and 10 as the sides.
    Then calculate the angle (so between the ground and the rope = between side length 10 and the hypoteneuse) using trig.
    You can subtract the length of the hypoteneuse by the length of the rope, then use that length with the calculated angle to get the max height- 'h' reached by using trig.
    Then apply energy conservation.

4. Oct 8, 2008 #3
    Thanks a bunch.. It worked perfectly

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?