Task of building a water barometer.

In summary, a water barometer is a device used to measure atmospheric pressure. The pressure of the atmosphere can vary by as much as 5 percent from 1 standard atmosphere as the weather changes. To determine the minimum height needed to build a barometer, one could use the equation P = F/A for a closed surface, but the values for F and A are unknown. Another approach is to set Po * 5% = Po + D*g*depth, but this may not give the correct answer. Wikipedia may provide useful information on building a water barometer.
killersanta

Homework Statement

Your physics teacher has assigned you the task of building a water barometer. You've learned that the pressure of the atmosphere can vary by much as 5 percent from 1 standard atmosphere as the weather changes.

A. What is the minimum height you must build your barometer to?
B. When the weather man said the barometric pressure is as low as 29.55 inches, What is the height of your barometer?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start. I thought at first to use P = F/A for a closed surface and set that equal to P = Po + Density*g*depth... But, I don't know F or A?

Then, I thought set Po * 5% = Po + D*g*depth... but that gives me the wrong answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
killersanta said:

Homework Statement

Your physics teacher has assigned you the task of building a water barometer. You've learned that the pressure of the atmosphere can vary by much as 5 percent from 1 standard atmosphere as the weather changes.

A. What is the minimum height you must build your barometer to?
B. When the weather man said the barometric pressure is as low as 29.55 inches, What is the height of your barometer?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start. I thought at first to use P = F/A for a closed surface and set that equal to P = Po + Density*g*depth... But, I don't know F or A?

Then, I thought set Po * 5% = Po + D*g*depth... but that gives me the wrong answer...

Wikipedia may be of help...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barometer#Water-based_barometers

What is a water barometer?

A water barometer is a scientific instrument used to measure atmospheric pressure. It consists of a long glass tube filled with water, inverted and placed in a reservoir of water. The pressure of the air on the water in the reservoir causes the water level in the tube to rise or fall, indicating changes in atmospheric pressure.

How does a water barometer work?

A water barometer works on the principle of atmospheric pressure. As the air pressure changes, it exerts a force on the water in the reservoir, causing the water level in the tube to either rise or fall. By measuring the height of the water column, the atmospheric pressure can be determined.

What are the advantages of using a water barometer?

One of the main advantages of using a water barometer is its simplicity. It is a relatively easy instrument to construct and does not require any specialized equipment. Additionally, water barometers are very accurate and can measure changes in atmospheric pressure with high precision.

What are the limitations of a water barometer?

A water barometer is affected by changes in temperature, as warm air is less dense and exerts less pressure on the water. This can cause inaccurate readings if the temperature changes significantly. Additionally, a water barometer is not suitable for measuring very low or very high pressures.

What is the purpose of building a water barometer?

The main purpose of building a water barometer is to measure changes in atmospheric pressure, which can be used to predict weather patterns. It can also be used to study changes in air pressure at different altitudes, and to demonstrate the principles of air pressure and buoyancy in a classroom setting.