Building a Water Bottle Xylophone: Calculating Notes Using Physics Equations

• Thread starter cjmiba324
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation is about a physics project where the student is using glass bottles filled with water to create a xylophone-like instrument. The teacher requires the student to write down the calculation process for finding each note. The student questions whether the formula taught by the teacher, frequency(n)=nVelocity/2L, is applicable for hitting the bottles instead of blowing on them. The student also considers using another formula and is asked if there is any experimental evidence to support the relationship between the water level and the tones produced when hitting or blowing on the bottles.
cjmiba324

Homework Statement

I am now doing my physics project, which is to build an instrument. I choose mine to be glass bottles filled with water and hit them like an xylophone. But our physics teacher requires us to write down the calculation process of finding each note.

Homework Equations

He only taught us the formula frequency(n)=nVelocity/2L. But I think this formula is only used when I blow the bottles not hit them. Should I use this formula to get the notes or is there another formula that I can use?

The Attempt at a Solution

But I think this formula is only used when I blow the bottles not hit them. Should I use this formula to get the notes or is there another formula that I can use?

Physics news on Phys.org
So what have you done with these bottles so far ? Any experimental evidence that the tones are dependent on the water level when you hit the bottles ? Same question for when you blow on the opening ?

Related to Building a Water Bottle Xylophone: Calculating Notes Using Physics Equations

1. How does a water bottle xylophone work?

A water bottle xylophone works by filling up bottles with different levels of water, creating different pitches. When struck with a mallet or another object, the bottles vibrate and produce sound waves, creating music.

2. What materials are needed to make a water bottle xylophone?

To make a water bottle xylophone, you will need empty water bottles of different sizes, water, a mallet or another object for striking, and a surface to place the bottles on.

3. How do you tune a water bottle xylophone?

To tune a water bottle xylophone, you need to adjust the amount of water in each bottle. The more water, the lower the pitch will be. You can use a tuner or an online frequency generator to help you achieve the desired pitches.

4. Can you make a water bottle xylophone with any type of bottle?

While water bottles are commonly used to make a xylophone, you can experiment with using other types of bottles such as soda bottles, wine bottles, or even glass jars. Keep in mind that the type of bottle used may affect the sound produced.

5. Is it possible to play actual songs on a water bottle xylophone?

Yes, it is possible to play actual songs on a water bottle xylophone. With practice and by adjusting the amount of water in each bottle, you can create a range of notes and play melodies and even simple songs on your water bottle xylophone.