Tattoos and Piercings in academia and beyond

• Thread starter HayleySarg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academia
In summary: I don't know, seems like a bad idea to me.The arrows are actually part of the jewelry, and they are real.
HayleySarg
Gold Member
Hey, this just came to mind since my friend and I were discussing it.

How do you perceive tattoos and piercings? What's your opinion on professors or even professionals with either?

I haven't really put much thought into it. I've got a few math/physics tattoos, snake bites, tongue piercing and as with all body modification addicts: want more.

For the interest of not being employed forever, I'd hide/take out what I could I suppose.

Just extremely curious about everyone's thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not meaning to offend anyone, but when I see tattoos and piercings I think of blue collar workers, not professionals or academics. I don't personally care if people are into reasonable body modification and not injuring themselves, but I can only go by my personal experiences with people I've met that were into it. Bikers, rebellious teenagers, and artsy types are the only people I've met with them, but that doesn't mean that they aren't good people. My older daughter, Spawn, is a very artsy computer geek, and she's a professional, she recently got a tattoo of Hermione from Harry Potter, but it's in a place where she can hide it, if needed. She's also got a tiny piercing near her mouth and I keep thinking, "get that unsightly mole removed!" :frown:

Last edited:
I had a pierced left ear lobe in which I wore a stud for many years (during mid 70s-80s). I took it out and it closed. Someday, I may redo it, but I'm not in a hurry.

Although I considered tatoos along time ago, I lost interest, particular when skinheads and others started making a big deal of tatoos.

I don't get the facial/nasal/tongue/nipple/navel/downbelow piercings. I guess I'm too old-fashioned in those respects.

Well, I'm not going to lie, in my experience, if you can't hide it, they tend to hinder you when it comes to finding a job. I have a good bit of tattoos on me, and those come from a time when I worked a more 'blue collar' typed job so it was accepted; however, a bit older and working in an office environment has limited my ability to get a neck piece =(. My sleeves, I tend to get away with since I'm a veteran and they are military related, but I also think the other half of the story is that my bosses are veterans too and no one talks down to the guy with one leg.

Completely interesting replies. I'm not too worried about the few small tattoos I do have. They can be covered up. Though I'm worried about my snake-bites. I haven't entirely decided if I should take them out for the sake of professionalism.

It's interesting that you both bring up the associated subcultures, and some of the negativity that stems from that.

I'll edit this out if it's not allowed, but it's my social media picture as of late (though my linkdin is non-pierced me for obvious reasons). My tattoos I won't be showing ^^;; They're in nice little spots. I have Euler's identity, and an h-bar on me. I've considered the standard model, but I'm not sure about it yet.

These haven't caused me any trouble at my "white collar" office job. But, I might consider taking them out when I transfer schools and am looking more seriously at research and internship opportunities. They're truly the only thing I can't hide. I mean, I can take them out for short periods of time, but I can't keep them out.

http://postimg.org/image/tkc0b119d/

It's actually something I've been thinking on a lot lately, maybe even subconsciously. I guess I just don't see anyone in math or science who have any visible piercings or tattoos that are out of the ordinary. I had a chem prof with a small molecular one, but it was up on the top of his shoulder. We all begged to see it, otherwise we would have never known. Well, he did mention it.

Cheers

You're a very pretty girl Haley, but I would advise removing those things from your mouth. At least they don't look like lip sores like a lot of lip hardware I've seen.

Likes 1 person
Astronuc said:
I don't get the facial/nasal/tongue/nipple/navel/downbelow piercings. I guess I'm too old-fashioned in those respects.
LOL downbelow piercings.

I wanted to get a tattoo of Jimmy Page from the Royal Albert Hall concert but (1) it looks painful as hell and (2) it might send the wrong message xP...but hey there's always sharpie

That's a cool idea. Perhaps have someone do that photographic cake icing stuff on you. You know, for laughs.

I wonder if that would even adhere to the skin?

HayleySarg said:
Stupid question, but are the arrows really there or are they Photoshopped-in? If they are really there, are they part of the jewelry? Just curious.

russ_watters said:
Stupid question, but are the arrows really there or are they Photoshopped-in? If they are really there, are they part of the jewelry? Just curious.

Note a stupid question, though my phone's camera did some weird stuff withe the one on the right. At the risk of seeming conceited, here's another photo where the jewelry is easier to see:

http://postimg.org/image/peq49rj43/

The "arrows" are just a different type of ball ending, in this case, pointed. They're quite comfortable because they're rounded. None of the ring touches my teeth, only the soft tissue of my gums.

So is there like a button which makes them shoot out at people.

HayleySarg said:
That's a cool idea. Perhaps have someone do that photographic cake icing stuff on you. You know, for laughs.

I wonder if that would even adhere to the skin?
Lol even if it did I'd still find a way to eat it all off.

I'm getting the Vector Arrow button installed shortly. Though, after what she did to Stein... I'm not sure I can emulate that character. >=(

Also... where would it go? Tummy? How could you eat it? o_O On second thought... nevermind.

HayleySarg said:
How do you perceive tattoos and piercings?

To be honest, they shock me and make me recoil. I see them as a disfigurement and I wonder why on Earth would anybody do that to themself. I can only imagine it's acting out some inner self hatred.

What's your opinion on professors or even professionals with either?
It makes me wonder why they want to appear different than they are. It seems unhealthy.

Just extremely curious about everyone's thoughts.

You are a stunningly pretty young lady. Drop the gargoyle act.

... those are my thoughts.

old jim

Interesting. I hate to sound young and dumb AND cliché, but perhaps it's an age gap? Us youngin's going about, listening to that music and such.

But really, your statement towards "self-hatred" and the potential unhealthiness of it is intriguing. I had never actually thought of it from that perspective.

It's interesting because I don't buy into the whole beauty act thing (wear very little cosmetics, natural hair, t-shirts and jeans) but the piercings seem to be "the fancy" bits. Which, to some, they're quite the opposite of fancy.

Hmm. I appreciate the blunt honesty. It would appear I spent too much time in Eugene, OR.

Cheers

Idk if it's a young person thing. I think I'm younger than you from the looks of it and I'm scared to death of most people with crazy piercings; I live in NYC so I see many of them. Depending on where its placed it makes me recoil a bit as well, like nose piercings and mother of god eyebrow piercings. There was a guy in my HS who had like a million earrings on his eyebrows and he looked like some creature out of Pirates of the Caribbean. But to each his own.

HayleySarg said:
But really, your statement towards "self-hatred" and the potential unhealthiness of it is intriguing. I had never actually thought of it from that perspective.
I know at least one girl who was into them for the tenderness of the healing period. She liked tending to it, as a wound. She had previously engaged in self cutting.

I think there might be some element of scarification in many people's choice to get tattoos. It's also a counter-culture identity badge.

I am tattoo free and will remain so. I can remember how ugly the tattoos of WWII veterans became after a few years and simply do not want that on myself. I really don't care if others cover themselves in tattoos. It seems to be getting more and more main stream, hardly a sign of counter culture any more. Last fall while walking in a crowd headed into a free Styx concert I wondered aloud to my wife about how people could wear these ugly tattoos. Had to apologize to the gal walking beside me, who I did not notice with a ugly tattoo. They are every where. I can't help but wonder how long this fad will last.

Some of the art I like changes over the years. MC Escher and Salvador Dali will remain personal favorites but who doesn't like ants crawling on a Möbius strip and clocks dripping through time?

What I put on my house's walls is very important to me. It tells people about who I am. Unfortunately, Abstract and surrealist art isn't for all. I may change preferences as I grow older (I haven't had much exposure to Art). That is why they are mounted on the walls," not engraved on my skin.

I haven't seen any professors with visible tattoos but will ask them about it if I do.

Tattoos are a big no-no on women.So many women ruined their bodies with tattoos it's incredible.And they think they actually look better.I have to accept I will just never understand this fashion.

Last edited:
reenmachine said:
Tattoos are a big no-no on women.So many women ruined their bodies with tattoos it's incredible.And they think they actually look better.I have to accept I will just never understand this fashion.

I have a good friend who feels similar. In his eyes, it's only "tolerable" because it's math. But by no means interesting and pretty.

So, to be fair, what about men? No-no for women, but ________ for men?

And it definitely is a badge of counter culture. I guess I couldn't see getting anything massively colorful or full of design. That's what shirts are for!

And I know one of my friends enjoys being pierced, but it's not as much about hate as it's exciting to them. They can have that, for me it's painful. I did not like tending to my lip rings, though I did it. I was happy when they "healed" up. I can't imagine wanting to tend to a wound. Ugh. What a hassle!

I am no academic, but I think piercing are that are reasonable are okay. Then again, I have a few piercings my self. For example I have ear gauges, the suit me I think.

Yeah, it's hard to tell. It seems like my math professors think it's okay (then again, we have a heavily tattoo'd analysis prof and a few with minor piercings) and of course the liberal arts/theatre profs I work with think it's awesome. I haven't ran into any issues and the lab group I worked with at OSU had one grad who was quite pierced up even before making it into grad school. Though I'm not entirely sure if he plans on teaching, I think he had his eye on industry.

Then again, I'm also aware that I'm already fighting a bit uphill due to gender. I've not encountered any bias but I'm sure it exists. I want to give myself as much credibility to get past that as I can.

HayleySarg said:
Then again, I'm also aware that I'm already fighting a bit uphill due to gender. I've not encountered any bias but I'm sure it exists. I want to give myself as much credibility to get past that as I can.

Don't let the uphill get you down, because you are a woman and can use your gender for your self, working girlfriend *Snap* Snap*.

jim hardy said:
To be honest, they shock me and make me recoil. I see them as a disfigurement and I wonder why on Earth would anybody do that to themself.

Most things teens do out of the ordinary is for that recoil effect in my opinion. I hypothesize it's for attention.

It's interesting to note the change of tone when I bashed on fake breast implants a couple of months ago. I was seen as bigoted to these same very people even though it seems to me that this thread is the same level of what some might call 'narrow-mindedness.'

I have tattoos, brands, and piercings. Half a dozen earrings and a tongue pierce are all that show in business casual. Get any modification you want - but if it shows outside of normal clothing, accept that you will forever be judged by people who see your art. As far as effects on jobs, it depends on where you work - if it's a conservative company, you'll probably regret your choice.

I personally don't like piercings nor tattoos, especially ears with five or more piercings. I rarely see some that I find elegant and in place. However, I met a friend and she had this small tiny little cute earing for her tragus. I loved it and decided to have a third ear piercing, sadly the lady that works at the piercing store told me I had a small tragus and it's not going to look good :frown: She asid I can choose a different place in the ear... no way.

tumblr_m3pxf6AaVf1qbbyeeo1_400.jpg

:!)... Sigh.

I don't have any tattoos but in not against them at all. Actually, as I view them as harmless I sort of gain respect for someone who choses to do what they want regardless of future judgment. Shows strength. Plugs though, if they get big, I see as damaging and I don't like them.

Smoking on the other hand, I lose half my respect for them. Instantly.

This is all in an academic setting.

It's a matter of choice. All tattoos are not created equal - a dignified piece of artwork that's only displayed to those you wish to see it is different from knuckle tatts.

As to pierces - I'm looking into 3d printing to make a small fixture, that will attach to my ear pierces and hold a bluetooth earpiece. Half art, half technology.

Pierces will heal over, if the jewelry is removed. Ink is forever, unless you're willing to go through a process that's either expensive (laser) or painful (sandpaper and salt). Brands also fade with time, depending upon how your skin heals.

StrayCatalyst said:
It's a matter of choice. All tattoos are not created equal - a dignified piece of artwork that's only displayed to those you wish to see it is different from knuckle tatts.

As to pierces - I'm looking into 3d printing to make a small fixture, that will attach to my ear pierces and hold a bluetooth earpiece. Half art, half technology.

Pierces will heal over, if the jewelry is removed. Ink is forever, unless you're willing to go through a process that's either expensive (laser) or painful (sandpaper and salt). Brands also fade with time, depending upon how your skin heals.

That is so cool. I really like that idea.

My tattoos are all physics/math related. Though very simple/small. I can't really imagine having anything too wild or loud. I've decided to purchase high quality flesh-colored retainers for my gargoyle-mouth arrow-gun thing. My current professional environment doesn't mind, and I don't think it'll be an issue until grad school.

I was never really aware of the reasoning behind why people don't like them. I knew people didn't of course, but I feel a bit enlightened.

My personal view: I don't care what you look like as long s you don't SMELL. My friends used to say I was part Vulcan for it. I can't stand any gross smell, and even nice ones. Perfumes, lotions, overly strong hair washes, BO, smokes-- ugh. I'm highly sensitive to it. You could have tattoos up and down your face, bright pink knee length hair (bonus points if on a guy), wear clothes I don't understand but please... Don't smell too strongly.

Wow - I'm kind of surprised by the reaction here. I've never considered them to be at all unusual, or at all a problem. Especially statements like this one:

jim hardy said:
To be honest, they shock me and make me recoil. I see them as a disfigurement and I wonder why on Earth would anybody do that to themself. I can only imagine it's acting out some inner self hatred.

I don't see how anyone could possibly perceive tattoos/piercings as self hatred unless they have never known anyone who has any of either. I can somewhat understand not liking their appearance, but self hatred? Really? How is it fundamentally any different than any number of other choices people make with regard to their appearance? Is it self hatred for someone to shave their head? Have a goatee? Wear a day-glo orange shirt? (well... ok... that last one might be debatable, but I digress :tongue: ). Honestly, I think for the most part, it's becoming much more acceptable in much of society, and I'd be surprised (and tremendously disappointed) if anyone would outright reject you from an academic or professional position purely on the basis of your piercings/tattoos.

Shock and recoil? To me, that would depend on the type of tattoo. I know one moron who has an eye with fish hooks tattooed on his forehead - kind of an "I pledge allegiance to lifelong unemployment" thing. That, I would count as self hatred, perhaps, or a way to spare people the effort of talking to him to realize he's an idiot.

But most body modification has more class than that - and many of the people posting here are talking about math and physics related skin art. Jim, you may be overgeneralizing.

I have some friends who have no body mods at all - not so much as a pierced ear. To me, it's just a choice - and the type of art a person chooses, and where they want it, also makes an enormous difference.

I got my tattoo to see if I could sit through it - I have a crippling needle phobia, so it was a very unpleasant process, but I can look down at it and see that I was stronger than my fears. Brands are much faster, and heal more cleanly - more painful, less frightening. Pierces are painful and frightening - but the pain and the fear are gone in minutes, and the jewelry is there until removed.

StrayCatalyst said:
Shock and recoil? To me, that would depend on the type of tattoo. I know one moron who has an eye with fish hooks tattooed on his forehead - kind of an "I pledge allegiance to lifelong unemployment" thing. That, I would count as self hatred, perhaps, or a way to spare people the effort of talking to him to realize he's an idiot.

Sure, but that's a judgment based on the content of the specific tattoo, rather than a sweeping generalization about body art/tattoos/piercings in general.

My recently-deceased friend was very heavily tattooed. He was a pharmacist and always worked in air-conditioned comfort, so covering up with long-sleeved shirts was no problem. He was very close friends with probably the best tattoo artist in the Eastern US, and N.B. did a lot of intricate work on him.

I have no tattoos, BTW, though I was tempted when N.B. visited our town to work out some issues. I thought it would be nice to have the profile of a sparrow-hawk's head on my shoulder. Nothing too fancy.

jim hardy said:
You are a stunningly pretty young lady. Drop the gargoyle act.

... those are my thoughts.

old jim

I concur, as a guy probably less than half jim's age, so I don't think it's an age gap thing. Especially since I probably share some of your musical tastes.

I am a male with very long hair (I take very good care of it) and even that is "pushing it" at some of the low-end retail jobs I've had. Actually got turned down for a job at a cinema once because of it, despite being the only one on the hiring table who didn't have tattoos, piercings, and probably a few run-ins with the law.

In my case I don't think anyone really cares in academia since I've seen plenty of academics with hair as long as mine and even longer, but obviously they are tenured and can do whatever they want. I can get away with a ponytail.

But I would be surprised if you managed to get away with piercings like those for any kind of white collar job.

I actually do get away with it.

I currently work as a data analyst and miner/researcher/slave at a wireless real-estate company. They know my work is quality, and have said "we'll use your brain until you out-educate your payscale here"

I definitely get away with it. When the CEO comes in though for the day, I took them out. My friend has been here for 7 years and leaves her vertical labret piercings in, however. I have a little over a year here, so I'm not quite as comfortable. I had blue hair when I was hired, but no piercings. When I asked if it would be okay to get a facial piercing, my boss gave it the okay.

Actually, I had never heard anyone say something negative regarding piercings or tattoos with any sort of serious reasoning before this thread. At least, not to my face. I knew it existed, so I was curious.

I'm in a pretty conservative area too.

Cheers

Last edited: