Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tattoos and Piercings in academia and beyond

1. Jul 1, 2013 #1

HayleySarg

Gold Member

Hey, this just came to mind since my friend and I were discussing it.

How do you perceive tattoos and piercings? What's your opinion on professors or even professionals with either?

I haven't really put much thought into it. I've got a few math/physics tattoos, snake bites, tongue piercing and as with all body modification addicts: want more.

For the interest of not being employed forever, I'd hide/take out what I could I suppose.

Just extremely curious about everyone's thoughts.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2013 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Not meaning to offend anyone, but when I see tattoos and piercings I think of blue collar workers, not professionals or academics. I don't personally care if people are into reasonable body modification and not injuring themselves, but I can only go by my personal experiences with people I've met that were into it. Bikers, rebellious teenagers, and artsy types are the only people I've met with them, but that doesn't mean that they aren't good people. My older daughter, Spawn, is a very artsy computer geek, and she's a professional, she recently got a tattoo of Hermione from Harry Potter, but it's in a place where she can hide it, if needed. She's also got a tiny piercing near her mouth and I keep thinking, "get that unsightly mole removed!" :frown:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  4. Jul 1, 2013 #3

Astronuc

I had a pierced left ear lobe in which I wore a stud for many years (during mid 70s-80s). I took it out and it closed. Someday, I may redo it, but I'm not in a hurry.

Although I considered tatoos along time ago, I lost interest, particular when skinheads and others started making a big deal of tatoos.

I don't get the facial/nasal/tongue/nipple/navel/downbelow piercings. I guess I'm too old-fashioned in those respects.

5. Jul 1, 2013 #4

MarneMath

Education Advisor

Well, I'm not going to lie, in my experience, if you can't hide it, they tend to hinder you when it comes to finding a job. I have a good bit of tattoos on me, and those come from a time when I worked a more 'blue collar' typed job so it was accepted; however, a bit older and working in an office environment has limited my ability to get a neck piece =(. My sleeves, I tend to get away with since I'm a veteran and they are military related, but I also think the other half of the story is that my bosses are veterans too and no one talks down to the guy with one leg.

6. Jul 1, 2013 #5

HayleySarg

Gold Member

Completely interesting replies. I'm not too worried about the few small tattoos I do have. They can be covered up. Though I'm worried about my snake-bites. I haven't entirely decided if I should take them out for the sake of professionalism.

It's interesting that you both bring up the associated subcultures, and some of the negativity that stems from that.

I'll edit this out if it's not allowed, but it's my social media picture as of late (though my linkdin is non-pierced me for obvious reasons). My tattoos I won't be showing ^^;; They're in nice little spots. I have Euler's identity, and an h-bar on me. I've considered the standard model, but I'm not sure about it yet.

These haven't caused me any trouble at my "white collar" office job. But, I might consider taking them out when I transfer schools and am looking more seriously at research and internship opportunities. They're truly the only thing I can't hide. I mean, I can take them out for short periods of time, but I can't keep them out.

http://postimg.org/image/tkc0b119d/

It's actually something I've been thinking on a lot lately, maybe even subconsciously. I guess I just don't see anyone in math or science who have any visible piercings or tattoos that are out of the ordinary. I had a chem prof with a small molecular one, but it was up on the top of his shoulder. We all begged to see it, otherwise we would have never known. Well, he did mention it.

Cheers

7. Jul 1, 2013 #6

Evo

You're a very pretty girl Haley, but I would advise removing those things from your mouth. At least they don't look like lip sores like a lot of lip hardware I've seen.

8. Jul 1, 2013 #7

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

LOL downbelow piercings.

I wanted to get a tattoo of Jimmy Page from the Royal Albert Hall concert but (1) it looks painful as hell and (2) it might send the wrong message xP...but hey there's always sharpie

9. Jul 1, 2013 #8

HayleySarg

Gold Member

That's a cool idea. Perhaps have someone do that photographic cake icing stuff on you. You know, for laughs.

I wonder if that would even adhere to the skin?

10. Jul 1, 2013 #9

russ_watters

Stupid question, but are the arrows really there or are they Photoshopped-in? If they are really there, are they part of the jewelry? Just curious.

11. Jul 1, 2013 #10

HayleySarg

Gold Member

Note a stupid question, though my phone's camera did some weird stuff withe the one on the right. At the risk of seeming conceited, here's another photo where the jewelry is easier to see:

http://postimg.org/image/peq49rj43/

The "arrows" are just a different type of ball ending, in this case, pointed. They're quite comfortable because they're rounded. None of the ring touches my teeth, only the soft tissue of my gums.

12. Jul 1, 2013 #11

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

So is there like a button which makes them shoot out at people.

Lol even if it did I'd still find a way to eat it all off.

13. Jul 1, 2013 #12

HayleySarg

Gold Member

I'm getting the Vector Arrow button installed shortly. Though, after what she did to Stein... I'm not sure I can emulate that character. >=(

Also... where would it go? Tummy? How could you eat it? o_O On second thought... nevermind.

14. Jul 1, 2013 #13

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

To be honest, they shock me and make me recoil. I see them as a disfigurement and I wonder why on earth would anybody do that to themself. I can only imagine it's acting out some inner self hatred.

It makes me wonder why they want to appear different than they are. It seems unhealthy.

You are a stunningly pretty young lady. Drop the gargoyle act.

.... those are my thoughts.

old jim

15. Jul 1, 2013 #14

HayleySarg

Gold Member

Interesting. I hate to sound young and dumb AND cliché, but perhaps it's an age gap? Us youngin's going about, listening to that music and such.

But really, your statement towards "self-hatred" and the potential unhealthiness of it is intriguing. I had never actually thought of it from that perspective.

It's interesting because I don't buy into the whole beauty act thing (wear very little cosmetics, natural hair, t-shirts and jeans) but the piercings seem to be "the fancy" bits. Which, to some, they're quite the opposite of fancy.

Hmm. I appreciate the blunt honesty. It would appear I spent too much time in Eugene, OR.

Cheers

16. Jul 1, 2013 #15

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Idk if it's a young person thing. I think I'm younger than you from the looks of it and I'm scared to death of most people with crazy piercings; I live in NYC so I see many of them. Depending on where its placed it makes me recoil a bit as well, like nose piercings and mother of god eyebrow piercings. There was a guy in my HS who had like a million earrings on his eyebrows and he looked like some creature out of Pirates of the Caribbean. But to each his own.

17. Jul 2, 2013 #16
    I know at least one girl who was into them for the tenderness of the healing period. She liked tending to it, as a wound. She had previously engaged in self cutting.

I think there might be some element of scarification in many people's choice to get tattoos. It's also a counter-culture identity badge.

18. Jul 2, 2013 #17

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am tattoo free and will remain so. I can remember how ugly the tattoos of WWII veterans became after a few years and simply do not want that on myself. I really don't care if others cover themselves in tattoos. It seems to be getting more and more main stream, hardly a sign of counter culture any more. Last fall while walking in a crowd headed into a free Styx concert I wondered aloud to my wife about how people could wear these ugly tattoos. Had to apologize to the gal walking beside me, who I did not notice with a ugly tattoo. They are every where. I can't help but wonder how long this fad will last.

19. Jul 2, 2013 #18
    Some of the art I like changes over the years. MC Escher and Salvador Dali will remain personal favorites but who doesn't like ants crawling on a Möbius strip and clocks dripping through time?

What I put on my house's walls is very important to me. It tells people about who I am. Unfortunately, Abstract and surrealist art isn't for all. I may change preferences as I grow older (I haven't had much exposure to Art). That is why they are mounted on the walls," not engraved on my skin.

I haven't seen any professors with visible tattoos but will ask them about it if I do.

20. Jul 2, 2013 #19

reenmachine

Gold Member

Tattoos are a big no-no on women.So many women ruined their bodies with tattoos it's incredible.And they think they actually look better.I have to accept I will just never understand this fashion.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  21. Jul 2, 2013 #20

HayleySarg

Gold Member

I have a good friend who feels similar. In his eyes, it's only "tolerable" because it's math. But by no means interesting and pretty.

So, to be fair, what about men? No-no for women, but ________ for men?

And it definitely is a badge of counter culture. I guess I couldn't see getting anything massively colorful or full of design. That's what shirts are for!

And I know one of my friends enjoys being pierced, but it's not as much about hate as it's exciting to them. They can have that, for me it's painful. I did not like tending to my lip rings, though I did it. I was happy when they "healed" up. I can't imagine wanting to tend to a wound. Ugh. What a hassle!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook