Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Teachers are trying to brainwash us!

1. Aug 16, 2006 #1
    Doesn't matter if they're right or wrong, it's the authority that counts T_T

http://hewasmymathteacher.ytmnd.com/

(Actual occurance, FYI)

It's old, yes, but still, I'm affected ._.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Looked like an urban legend to me, but no hits at Snopes.com

Hey, just remember that there are good teachers and some bad teachers. And there are good students and bad students. Sounds like the kid in the story could have just pulled out a book and showed him that he was getting it backwards. No need to resort to name calling.

I have to say that I don't like the title of your thread much. It would have been better if it were titled "Some Teachers...." IMO

4. Aug 16, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Teachers are not trying to brainwash people

*calls the PTA*

5. Aug 16, 2006 #4
    Yes, maybe the title's too generalized >_<

But still, "In the future, Alex would be better off simply accepting my teachings without resistance"?

Sounds odd to me =|

6. Aug 16, 2006 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Blahness, you to relax a little and cut the teachers some slack.

You post about them frequently. Not just lately, but like awhile back too.

7. Aug 17, 2006 #6

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've had a couple that were every bit as bad as that.
    Fortunately, a lot more that were very good.
    And way too many that you could replace with books on tape.

8. Aug 17, 2006 #7
    The last time I had a good teacher was kindergarten.

Good "school teachers" are another kind of beast. One can fulfill and exceed the job requirements of a school teacher, but still be nothing more than a baby sitter who tells young people everything they should be doing.

9. Aug 17, 2006 #8
    that teacher should be the one in detenion

the wife still remembers being marked down for miss-spelling
    colour after she looked it up in the OXFORD Standard Dictionary OF the ENGLISH Language

the class is called ENGLISH NOT local american language
    but perhaps it should be retitled

10. Aug 17, 2006 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So odd that it is probably made up? Letters such as these would be on School "letterhead" stationery. If it is real, then it is an individual crackpot who is probably not teaching anymore.

Please stop insulting me. (Yes, ME. A Teacher)

11. Aug 17, 2006 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suspect that you're not only a teacher, but also a damned good teacher.

12. Aug 17, 2006 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, shucks...:blushing:

I know of many "not so good" teachers at my high school, but even the worst of them do not deserve to be included in such generalizations.

Even if (and I stress IF) the letter is real, we would not know the full story of this SINGLE example of a SINGLE mistake made by one SINGLE teacher. We do not know that the student was not prone to disrupting the class. He could have been the kind of person who seizes on someone else's mistake and will never let it drop only for the sake of his own amusement.

As someone already mentioned, it has all the things that make it sound like an urban legend. There are no hits for any teachers with that name either.

13. Aug 17, 2006 #12
    Personally I always remember how I was at school and try to think how much of a pain in the arse it would have been to teach someone like me, from about the age of eleven I seemed to go off school finding most of it pretty dull, so I'd usually spend most lessons messing around, being a bit of a class clown(not malicious just a pain in the arse and disprutive)

When I got out of the system I began to really empathise with the teachers, not just on my account I remember just how much of a colossal pain in the arse some kids can be, in particular how much crap my class and I put some of our teachers through(especially the ones who weren't great at keeping order) I mean kids can sense weakness in a teacher within five minutes of introduction and they can be pretty brutal, slowly learning ways to wind teacher up best.

It's a wonder any of them got out of it alive, 2 didn't, I seem to remember 2 teachers died while I was at school, both from heart conditions. (both alcahol related) Read into that what you will?

My school wasn't a problem school either, in fact academically it was fairly well rated, I can imagine some schools though would be much harder to teach in. Anyway kids out there, some teachers are just jerks, but some teachers have to put up with a lot of crap before they even have to teach your class, cut them some slack once in a while.

I'm not sure where that came from, maybe it is a guilty conscience, but it had to be said.:smile:

14. Aug 17, 2006 #13
    Chi, I'm not saying that ALL teachers are bad... just the ones I get. :rolleyes:

I have no idea if the letter is real or not, honestly, and this was meant half jokingly (:rofl:), so, sorry for seeming mean =(

15. Aug 17, 2006 #14

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Then the way you have given the title to this thread that you've created is most unfortunate for its over-generalization.

Zz.

16. Aug 17, 2006 #15

Mk

It was just supposed to be a joke. Sheesh.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?