Teachers More Likely to Develop Speech Disorders

1. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131015094508.htm

I find this baffling. Is the implication that people with latent progressive speech disorder are attracted to teaching, or is it that teaching exacerbates some universal vulnerability to this condition?

2. jcsd
  3. The first thing I noticed in the abstract was this:
    So they were examining a group that participated in their own selection. Some part of this could be caused by teachers having a higher standard of diction for themselves. A construction worker who starts to forget words or develops problems with pronunciation is not likely to become alarmed enough to mention it to a doctor - or will allow it to progress much further before mentioning it. And, of course, it's not just their own standards for themselves - it's also society's expectation of teachers. During a routine physical, a doctor is more likely to become alerted to sloppy speech from a teacher than from an engineer.

I'm not saying that this is the explanation. What I am saying is that the study is not controlled for that effect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted