Technical questions from grad students on their research

In summary: That's a good point. They probably should have talked to their mentor first, but I don't think they are completely lost.I agree with the first statement, but are they really aware of the risk?
Hyperfine
In my brief time here I have encountered a number of threads that give every indication of being a specific technical question from a grad student on their research. In at least one instance, the conclusion that the question was posed by a grad student is consistent with the poster's profile.

Would the poster not be best served by being advised to address such research questions to their mentor or to the more experienced senior members of their research group? I for one would not be overjoyed were I to learn that one of my students came here for advice on their, and my research rather than to approach me or members of my group.

At the very least, is it reasonable for a responder to such a thread to advise the poster to address the question to their mentor?

Science news on Phys.org
I think not. There are many possible reasons to go outside of your lab's conceptual bubble for particular issues.

There are also many different ways that the people who run labs run their labs. Some are very controlling, some the opposite.

In a pinch, any good source of information is good.

Likes mfb, russ_watters and Wrichik Basu
They seem so alone. I feel sorry for them.

Likes Wrichik Basu
BillTre said:
In a pinch, any good source of information is good.
I will certainly not argue with that statement. But what if the source, despite the best of intentions, is less than good?

Hyperfine said:
I will certainly not argue with that statement. But what if the source, despite the best of intentions, is less than good?
You don't have to use that source.
You can look for others.
That's life.

Likes Wrichik Basu and TeethWhitener
Hyperfine said:
It’s a risk they take. They are describing their situation in a paragraph or two and then ask strangers for advice. I think they are desperate.

I would agree that they are not told to talk to people around them enough, but that should be secondary advice.

Last edited:
BillTre said:
You don't have to use that source.
You can look for others.
That's life.
True, but are students coming here, as but one example, with questions regarding their research work sufficiently astute to distinguish good from less that good advice? What is the potential impact of less than good advice that is given and taken on an overall research program?

My thinking on this question is mixed and that confusion is not helping me contribute to discussions here.

Frabjous said:
It’s a risk they take. They are describing their situation in a paragraph or two and then ask strangers for advice. I think they are desparate.

I would agree that they are not told to talk to people around them enough, but that should be secondary advice.
I agree with the first statement, but are they really aware of the risk?

I tend to disagree with the second statement. I believe it is customary here for responders to directly ask for a citation from the literature in support of points under discussions. How does that differ from a respondent asking if the poster has discussed the question with their mentor or colleagues?

Hyperfine said:

I tend to disagree with the second statement. I believe it is customary here for responders to directly ask for a citation from the literature in support of points under discussions. How does that differ from a respondent asking if the poster has discussed the question with their mentor or colleagues?
A surprisingly number of poster’s take it personally when we ask for technical details. I believe that it will be even worse when we ask about what they are doing in their lives.

While it seems amazing that they have not talked to people around them, I think we should show some respect to their judgement in posting the question. We do not know everything that they do.

Likes BillTre
Fair points. I would just hate to contribute negatively to someone's research. And I do not like to see the apparent level of desperation that seems to be involved.

Hyperfine said:
Fair points. I would just hate to contribute negatively to someone's research. And I do not like to see the apparent level of desperation that seems to be involved.
I do have some sympathy for your position which is why I made the suggestion of talking to the locals as secondary advice.

Hyperfine said:
They can always ask an AI instead. :wink:

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and BillTre
Part of getting a PhD is learning how to sort out good information from bad and critically think about their research (maybe I’m being too idealistic).

Also, at some point in your PhD, you become the expert on whatever you’re researching, and you also become pretty aware of where your mentor’s and colleagues’ expertise lie (and don’t lie). For instance, when I was in grad school, I was in a lab that did mostly spectroscopy. During the course of my research, I had to do some rather involved organic syntheses. My mentor and colleagues averaged a 75% yield transferring coffee from a pot to a mug, so I didn’t consult them for advice. They weren’t offended.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, Mondayman, BillTre and 1 other person
Thank you all for your replies.

Likes BillTre
1. I don't think you are going to solve this problem in the general case.

2. A good question might be "when you asked your advisor. what did he say?" "He said to use Methods X or Y, and I can see how X would work but not Y" would then give PF a sense of direction in how to help."

Likes BillTre
Vanadium 50 said:
1. I don't think you are going to solve this problem in the general case.
Clearly not. But this exchange has helped me determine how I individually will respond, or not respond to such questions.
Vanadium 50 said:
2. A good question might be "when you asked your advisor. what did he say?" "He said to use Methods X or Y, and I can see how X would work but not Y" would then give PF a sense of direction in how to help."
I agree that would be a reasonable question to pose at the outset. I also think it would be reasonable to explicitly warn the poster of the possible risks associated with an answer to what I shall call an incomplete set of circumstances from an anonymous person with undefined credentials.

And thanks to you as well for your comments.

Likes BillTre and berkeman
I have recommended "ask your advisor/colleagues/collaborators" in one way or another in many comments. Sometimes as only recommendation, if I see no way to answer the question outside, otherwise together with a technical answer if possible.

Feedback is rare, sometimes they ask and get help there, sometimes they reply that the advisor isn't helpful at all and/or they don't know who to ask. In that case the problem is much deeper than their specific research question of course.

Likes Tom.G, berkeman and Hyperfine

1. What is the purpose of technical questions from grad students on their research?

The purpose of technical questions is to gain a better understanding of the research topic and to identify any potential issues or areas for improvement. Grad students may also ask technical questions to ensure they are on the right track and to seek guidance from more experienced scientists.

2. How can technical questions benefit the research process?

Technical questions can benefit the research process by promoting critical thinking and problem-solving skills, improving the quality of the research, and facilitating collaboration and knowledge sharing among researchers.

3. What types of technical questions do grad students typically ask?

Grad students may ask a wide range of technical questions, including clarifications on methods and procedures, questions about data analysis and interpretation, inquiries about the validity and reliability of findings, and discussions about potential future directions for the research.

4. How should scientists respond to technical questions from grad students?

Scientists should respond to technical questions from grad students with patience and openness, providing clear and detailed explanations and encouraging further exploration and critical thinking. It is also important to acknowledge the value of the questions and the effort put into the research.

5. Are there any guidelines for asking technical questions in a research setting?

Yes, there are some guidelines for asking technical questions in a research setting. These include being specific and concise, avoiding assumptions, providing context and background information, and being respectful of the researcher's time and expertise. It is also important to listen actively and follow up with additional questions or clarifications if needed.