1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension and acceleration of a sled?

1. Sep 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A heavy sled is being pulled by two people as shown in the figure. The coefficient of static friction between the sled and the ground is μs = 0.579, and the kinetic friction coefficient is μk = 0.435. The combined mass of the sled and its load is m = 336 kg. The ropes are separated by an angle φ = 25°, and they make an angle θ = 30.1° with the horizontal. Assuming both ropes pull equally hard, what is the minimum rope tension required to get the sled moving?

Sled Diagram.jpeg
    2. Relevant equations
    T-mg=ma (I think......)

3. The attempt at a solution

So, say person 1 exerts tension T1 and person 2 T2, so T1=T2=T ....So they both exert a force of 2T.

Untitled.png
    I am not even sure if this diagram is right?
    I also think wemust must find Ff,s = μs * Fg

I don't know where to go from here or I if this is where I should even be

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I think you'll want to start by seeing what single force applied at angle θ = 30.1° will get the sled moving. After that you can deal with how to divide that force between two ropes with the given angular spread.

4. Sep 27, 2015 #3
    If I am going to divide an angle wouldn't it be φ = 25°?

5. Sep 27, 2015 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Dealing with φ will come later. Treat this as two separate problems: 1) Find the force required to move the sled if the force is applied to the sled at angle θ; 2) Take the force from (1) and split it between two ropes separated by angle φ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted