Tension connecting the cable between the passenger and the engine

In summary, to find the tension connecting the cable between the passenger and the engine, you can set up free body diagrams for all parts of the train and use the equation F=ma. Since there is no resisting force, the tension in the cable will be the net force and can be calculated using the sum of the masses of the caboose and the carriage.
swimflee

Homework Statement

A train consists of a caboose (1000kg), a passenger car (2000kg), and an engine (2000 kg). If the train has an acceleration of 5.5m/s^2, what is the tension connecting the cable between the passenger and the engine.

a) 27.5kN b) 16.5kN c) 11kN d) 5.5kN e)none of the above

I already know the answer is B, as this was said in class, however I am having trouble reaching the solution of 16.5kN

Homework Equations

At first I tried using Fnet=ma, and with T1+T2-w=ma,however I did not reach the correct answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

T1+T2-w=ma
T1-19600=4000(5.5)
T1=41600 N, 41.6 kN

Physics news on Phys.org
i would try setting up free body diagrams for all of the parts of the train. Then you can set up equations for the sum of the x and y force components for each train part and can combine them to solve for the 2 tensions.

the way i see it.
the total mass of the system, is (the sum of the 3 train parts)
so if these were being pulled by, say, a large group of men with a rope, then
f = ma
force would equal tension.
mass, would be the total mass of the system,
acceleration would be the aceleration 0f 5.5

but, as it is a train, and it is the ENGINE, pulling the other two cariges, the tension in the string between the engine and the following two cariges, is the force that is acting on them to make them accelerate.
using f=ma
we know alread what speed they are accelerating at, and we know their mass (the sum of both these two carriges, behind the engine)

Since there is no resisting force(air resistance etc.), the tension in the cable/joint between the engine and the carriage will be the net force.
this is responsible for accelerating both the carriage and the 'caboose'
Fnet = T = ma.
'm' is the sum of the masses of the 'caboose' and the carriage.

What is tension connecting the cable between the passenger and the engine?

Tension connecting the cable between the passenger and the engine is a method used in transportation to connect the cable between the passenger compartment and the engine of a vehicle. This allows for the transfer of power and control from the engine to the passenger.

How does tension connecting the cable between the passenger and the engine work?

Tension connecting the cable between the passenger and the engine works by utilizing a cable or wire that is connected to the engine and runs through the vehicle to the passenger compartment. This cable is then connected to the controls of the vehicle, allowing the passenger to control the engine's functions.

What are the benefits of using tension connecting the cable between the passenger and the engine?

Some potential benefits of using tension connecting the cable between the passenger and the engine include improved safety, as the passenger has more control over the engine's functions, and improved efficiency, as the cable allows for more precise and direct control over the engine.

Are there any drawbacks to using tension connecting the cable between the passenger and the engine?

One potential drawback of using tension connecting the cable between the passenger and the engine is the risk of the cable breaking or becoming damaged, which could lead to a loss of control over the engine. Additionally, the use of tension connecting cables may add weight and complexity to the vehicle's design.

Is tension connecting the cable between the passenger and the engine used in all vehicles?

No, tension connecting the cable between the passenger and the engine is not used in all vehicles. It is more commonly found in smaller, simpler vehicles such as bicycles and motorcycles, while larger and more complex vehicles often use electronic systems for engine control.