Tension force, acting about a pivot

In summary, the problem involves a mass of 20kg hanging on a rope, with another cord attached to a wall causing the rope to make a 60 degree angle to the ceiling. The tension force in the upper section of the rope can be calculated using the equation Tension=SinX * F, and is found to be 170N. To calculate the force exerted by the cord on the wall, a sketch of the problem and the angle of the cord are needed. However, it can be determined that the force exerted by the cord cannot be less than the weight of the mass (20kg * 9.8m/s^2).
urbanyoung

Homework Statement

A mass of 20kg is hanging on a rope. Another cord is tied to the rope part way down and is attached to a wall. This causes the rope to make a 60 degree angle to the ceiling.
a) Calculate the tension force in the upper section of the rope.
b) Calculate the force exerted by the cord on the wall.

Homework Equations

Tension=SinX * F

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe part a) is (where gravity = 9.8):
Tension = Sin60 * (20 * 9.8)
Tension = 170N (2sf)

I'm not sure what to do for part b), hence why I've posted this.

Physics news on Phys.org
To make the rope non-vertical, you should ADD force to the system (through the cord).
It means the force cannot be less than m*g.
It would be helpful to sketch up a drawing, partly because as far as I can see not all variables are given, most specifically the angle of the cord (it is maybe just because I am not a native English speaker). Let's take it to be horizontal for now.

So you have three forces canceling each other:
- the force on the vertical part of the rope pulled by the weight
- the force on the 60 degree part of the rope
- the force on the horizontal cord.

One of the forces is known. The other two should cancel each other's horizontal component.
So you can determine the 60 degree rope's horizontal component based on its vertical one and its angle.
The non-horizontal cord case is a bit more difficult, but you can still write equations for the horizontal and the vertical component, and solve it if the angle of the cord is known.

What is tension force?

Tension force is a pulling force that acts on an object due to the application of a pulling force on either end of the object.

How does tension force affect an object?

Tension force causes an object to stretch or elongate, and it is dependent on the strength of the pulling force and the properties of the object, such as its material and cross-sectional area.

What is a pivot in relation to tension force?

A pivot is a fixed point or axis around which an object can rotate. Tension force can act about a pivot, causing an object to rotate or move in a circular motion.

What is the difference between tension force and compression force?

Tension force and compression force are both types of forces that act on an object. Tension force pulls on an object, while compression force pushes on an object. Both forces can cause changes in an object's shape or motion.

How is tension force calculated?

Tension force can be calculated using the formula F = k * ΔL, where F is the tension force, k is the spring constant of the object, and ΔL is the change in length of the object. This formula is known as Hooke's Law.