Atwood's Machine: Finding Tension at A & D

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rope passing over a fixed pipe, with points B and C being where the rope loses contact with the pipe, and points A and D being the ends of the rope. The length of AB is 2d and the length of CD is d. The question asks about the magnitude of tension at points A and D, and the ratio of tension between points B and C. The issue of friction is brought up, but it is not clear if there is friction or not. The first two questions are considered to be trick questions.
Poetria

Homework Statement

A rope of uniform mass density is passed above the top of a fixed pipe of circular cross section.
Points B and C - the points where the rope loses contact with the pipe.
Points A and D - at the ends of the rope
The length of the segment AB = 2d
The length of the segment CD = d.

The magnitude of the force of tension at the point A - ?
The magnitude of the force of tension at the point D - ?

I have calculated the ratio: tension at the point B over tension at the point C = 2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I thought tension at A = 2
tension at D = 1

Well, this is wrong. I am missing something.
It is somewhat similar to a simple Atwood machine, isn't it?

Attachments

• wrapping_friction.jpg
    wrapping_friction.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 323
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no tension at the ends of the rope.

Likes Poetria
Poetria said:
tension at the point B over tension at the point C = 2
As .Scott notes, there is no cause for tension at the rope ends, so I am not sure whether this is a trick question or you have misquoted it and actually want the tension ratio between B and C.
The description you give says nothing about friction. If there is no friction then there will surely be acceleration, so the tensions at B and C won't be the same as for a static arrangement. However, the image title mentions friction.
Please clarify.

Likes Poetria and Chestermiller
haruspex said:
As .Scott notes, there is no cause for tension at the rope ends, so I am not sure whether this is a trick question or you have misquoted it and actually want the tension ratio between B and C.
The description you give says nothing about friction. If there is no friction then there will surely be acceleration, so the tensions at B and C won't be the same as for a static arrangement. However, the image title mentions friction.
Please clarify.

Silly me! I got it.
"Wrapping friction" is a title of this problem. And there is no mention of friction afterwards.

There are three questions:
- about the magnitude of tension at the point A
- about the magnitude of tension at the point D
- about the ratio

So I see the first two are trick questions.

Poetria said:
So I see the first two are trick questions.
Then the last question is also... :smile:

Likes Poetria

1. What is an Atwood's Machine?

An Atwood's Machine is a simple mechanical device that consists of a pulley, a string, and two masses attached to either end of the string. It is used to demonstrate the principles of Newton's Second Law of Motion and the concept of tension in a string.

2. How do you find the tension at points A and D in an Atwood's Machine?

To find the tension at points A and D, you need to first measure the masses of the objects attached to the string and the distance between the two points. Then, you can use the formula T = (m1-m2)g/2, where T is the tension, m1 and m2 are the masses, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Plug in the values and solve for T to find the tension at points A and D.

3. What factors affect the tension in an Atwood's Machine?

The tension in an Atwood's Machine is affected by the mass of the objects attached to the string, the distance between the two points, and the acceleration due to gravity. The tension will increase as the mass or distance increases, and it will decrease as the acceleration due to gravity decreases.

4. How does an Atwood's Machine demonstrate Newton's Second Law of Motion?

An Atwood's Machine demonstrates Newton's Second Law of Motion by showing that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In an Atwood's Machine, the net force is equal to the difference between the two masses multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (Fnet = m1a - m2a = (m1-m2)g). This relationship is consistent with Newton's Second Law, F = ma.

5. What is the purpose of finding the tension at points A and D in an Atwood's Machine?

The purpose of finding the tension at points A and D in an Atwood's Machine is to understand and demonstrate the concept of tension in a string. It also allows for the calculation of the acceleration of the objects and the net force acting on them, which can further illustrate the principles of Newton's Second Law of Motion.