1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension In a string Second Harmonic

1. Jul 2, 2011 #1
    One string of a certian musical intrument is 79 cm long and it has a mass of 8.74 g. It is being played in a room where the speed of sound is 344m/s
    To what tension must you adjust the string so that when vibrating in its second overtone it produces a wavelenght of 3.39 cm

v=sqrt(T/mu)
    f=nv/2l
    v=lambda f

f=344/.0339=10147.49 hertz

10147.49=v/l=sqrt(T/m/l)/l

which gives me a tension of 710977.38 N which seems to large for a string on an instrument. Is that right?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is correct. Remember, the tension is force/m2 and the diameter of a string is in the mm range. Multiplying the tension with the cross section area of the string results in a small force.

ehild

4. Jul 3, 2011 #3
    But isnt the force really big?

5. Jul 3, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you are right, it is a very big force, I was mistaken. Are you sure that the data are correct?

ehild

6. Jul 3, 2011 #5
    thats what i was given but it seems to large to be reasonable

7. Jul 3, 2011 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the frequency is very high, that is why the tension is so impossibly great.

ehild

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  8. Jul 3, 2011 #7
    So you cant use the speed of sound as v in this problem?

9. Jul 3, 2011 #8
    how about a f of 435.44 does that sound more reasonable

that gives me 19698 N which still seems to high

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  10. Jul 3, 2011 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your solution was correct. The force corresponds to the numerical data given. The given wavelength in air corresponds to a very high frequency.
    The mass is also too high. If the string is made of steel, the diameter can be of 1.3 mm.
    In case of a guitar string, for example, a typical diameter is of 0.5 mm and the tension of 100 N. But the mass would be about 1 g then.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook