1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Tension in a vibrating string at a given frequency

1. May 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 4.0g string of 0.67m length is vibrating at 300Hz in the third harmonic. The speed of sound in the air is 344 m/s. What is the tension in the string in SI units.

A) 110
    B) 88
    C) 69
    D) 130
    E) 150

2. Relevant equations

//frequency is equal to velocity over wavelength
    f = v/lambda

3. The attempt at a solution

So, f sub n = nf sub 1, the fundamental frequency. That means that I can rewrite this using the frequency equation as...

100*2*L*sqrt(m/L) = sqrt(T)

=> 100*2*0.67*.0773 = sqrt(T)

=> 10.35 = sqrt(T)

=> (10.35)^2 = T

=> T = 107.2

107.2 is closest to 110, which is choice A, but it isn't exact and I didn't use the speed of sound in the air quantity for anything. I'm not sure if I did this problem correctly or not? Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2010 #2
    I get the same answer as you.
    For this calculation the speed of sound in air is not needed.
    As the relevant data is given to 2 significant figures, the answer of 110N is correct to the same level of precision/certainty.

4. Mar 11, 2011 #3
    For what it's worth, over 10 months after you asked the original question, I also got 107.2Hz as the answer. I'm always late to the party... :-(

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook