Tension in a vibrating string at a given frequency

In summary, the problem involves a 4.0g string of 0.67m length vibrating at 300Hz in the third harmonic. Using the frequency equation, the tension in the string is found to be approximately 107.2N, which is closest to 110N and does not require the speed of sound in the air for the calculation.
sfdrew

Homework Statement

A 4.0g string of 0.67m length is vibrating at 300Hz in the third harmonic. The speed of sound in the air is 344 m/s. What is the tension in the string in SI units.

A) 110
B) 88
C) 69
D) 130
E) 150

Homework Equations

//frequency is equal to velocity over wavelength
f = v/lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

So, f sub n = nf sub 1, the fundamental frequency. That means that I can rewrite this using the frequency equation as...

100*2*L*sqrt(m/L) = sqrt(T)

=> 100*2*0.67*.0773 = sqrt(T)

=> 10.35 = sqrt(T)

=> (10.35)^2 = T

=> T = 107.2

107.2 is closest to 110, which is choice A, but it isn't exact and I didn't use the speed of sound in the air quantity for anything. I'm not sure if I did this problem correctly or not? Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same answer as you.
For this calculation the speed of sound in air is not needed.
As the relevant data is given to 2 significant figures, the answer of 110N is correct to the same level of precision/certainty.

For what it's worth, over 10 months after you asked the original question, I also got 107.2Hz as the answer. I'm always late to the party... :-(

1. What is tension in a vibrating string at a given frequency?

Tension in a vibrating string at a given frequency refers to the amount of force applied to the string to make it vibrate at a specific frequency. This tension is typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How does tension affect the frequency of a vibrating string?

The tension in a vibrating string is directly proportional to the frequency of the vibration. This means that as the tension increases, the frequency of the vibration also increases. Similarly, decreasing the tension will result in a decrease in frequency.

3. What factors can affect the tension in a vibrating string?

The tension in a vibrating string can be affected by several factors, including the length of the string, the material it is made of, and the amount of force applied to it. Additionally, changes in temperature or humidity can also impact the tension in a string.

4. How can the tension in a vibrating string be adjusted?

The tension in a vibrating string can be adjusted by changing the length of the string, changing the material of the string, or by using a device such as a tuning peg to tighten or loosen the string. Additionally, the tension can also be adjusted by changing the amount of force applied to the string, such as by plucking or bowing it.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding tension in a vibrating string?

Understanding tension in a vibrating string is essential in fields such as acoustics, music, and engineering. It can help in creating and tuning musical instruments, designing sound systems, and understanding the principles of resonance. It is also important in fields such as telecommunications and structural engineering, where vibrations and frequency are significant factors.