1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension in rope (particles in Equilibrium)

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    1. OK, Two blocks are hanging from a ceiling, with a rope between them. The top block is 72 N, while the bottom block is 150 N. What is the tension in the rope between them?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution My confusion is that I'm not sure if we're supposed to include the top block in this situation. Thus far, I know how to calculate the bottom tension in a rope (only include the bottom block), and the top tension in a rope (include both), but just simply saying tension gets me a little confused. If this sounds dumb, then please excuse me, I decided to read ahead of the class, so I'm on my own here.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

'What is the tension in the rope between them', means what is the tension on the rope connected directly between the top and bottom blocks? The tension in the upper rope will be different. You have the right idea i think: draw a Free Body Diagram of the lower block, and determine that lower rope tension using newton's first law.

4. Jan 28, 2010 #3
    Yeah.

5. Jan 31, 2010 #4
    how do you measure tension on a catapult because i am doing a science project and i dont know how

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook