Tension in two cords supporting a 10kg mass at 30 and 45 degrees

  • Thread starter Thread starter xCanx
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
xCanx
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
A mass of 10 kg is suspended from a ceiling by two cords that make angles of 30 and 45 degrees with the ceiling. Find the tension in each of the cords.

This is how I set up my diagram.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1941/66920817mh7.th.jpg

I used the sine to try to find t1, but it doesn't work. I put the dotted line as 98N is that right?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
xCanx said:
A mass of 10 kg is suspended from a ceiling by two cords that make angles of 30 and 45 degrees with the ceiling. Find the tension in each of the cords.

I used the sine to try to find t1, but it doesn't work. I put the dotted line as 98N is that right?

The 98N will act from the weight down. It is in equilibrium. And there different contributions to supporting the 98N from each wire in the downward direction.

But ... there are also horizontal forces and they balance as well at the point attached to the weight. It is the vector sum of the horizontal and vertical forces - distributed in each wire that determines T in each wire.
 
can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? cause I understand that the object is in equilibrium.
 
xCanx said:
can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? cause I understand that the object is in equilibrium.

Sorry. I haven't seen your work. I only see your diagram.

Sine of T1 is only one component of the force acting along the line of T1.

Likewise for T2. Both x components are in equilibrium (it's not moving) as are both y components in equilibrium with the 98N down.

Solve then for the magnitude of each T.