1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension on Rope, greater then, less than, or equal to

1. May 5, 2015 #1
    https://auddoq.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y2mGb2n5mfKxwU4nZlLmOvyElgDcG0-5GG9dGoP4AbrV1taK31XrOoPmeyf9x9RQZ8kXLi0WG2Etd0-I8bVWqOgVufahONs02hTGFS-SUwBVRyd-ajz5Eza-nrk9yWa7kF6kPFtMdPD6MGIpfwQMhywCLfOOuIO4-3tLe1_KjSf9V0/20150505_234057356_iOS.jpg?psid=1 [Broken]
    if the image does not show heres the link: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=145f...v=3&ithint=photo,jpg&authkey=!AIYbbkhjjxVZgWk

I need help with question, i understand F=m*a and all that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2015 #2
    I will help with a few of these..

Top left: If the object is not accelerating, that means that the forces must be balanced, to ensure no acceleration. If the force pulling the object down is Mg, then what force would have to be pulling upwards? What provides this force?

Middle left: If the same force is pulling down as the problem above it, but the force is presumably equally distributed between two ropes, what do you think the tension will be on each rope, knowing that the total force upward must equal the total force downward in order to keep the mass from accelerating?

Bottom left: Which rope has greater tension? Why? Keep in mind that one of the ropes needs to support two different masses, while one only supports a single mass.

I will be happy to answer any more specific questions.

4. May 5, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the help, other than the 3 you helped me with are there any others that are incorrect? You dont have to give me the answer I just don't want to change any correct answers and spend all day on the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted