1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension on string of submerged object.

1. May 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hollow steel sphere of inner radius 0.9m and outer radius 1m is submeged 1000m below the surface of the sea. Take the density of water to be 1000 kg/m^3 and the density of steel to be 7.8 x 10^3. Calculate the tension in the wire to support the submerged sphere.

2. Relevant equations
    B = ρ(f)V(f)g
    W = mg

3. The attempt at a solution
    T + B = mg.
    Calculate T.
    Is this correct? The 1000m below sea level is what's making me doubt myself. Should this be factored into the calculation?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2013 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Your equation is correct however, I think the 1000 kg/m^3 for water they gave you would be at atmospheric pressure. You might need to get the density at 1000 m. However I don't think the value should vary by too much.

4. May 16, 2013 #3
    How would you go about calculating the density at a depth of 1000m?

5. May 16, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Water is incompressible. The density of water at sea level is for all intents and purposes the same density at a depth of 1000 m.

6. May 16, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Properties_of_water#Compressibility, density increase at 1km due to compression would be only about 0.5%. In practice, higher salinity would be more important. As against that, g would be a tiny bit less. I don't think you're expected to take any of that into account for this question, since it does not specify a salinity or pressure for the given density.

7. May 16, 2013 #6
    Brilliant. Thanks for that. A little confused as to why the 1000 metres was actually specified so.

8. May 16, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Providing irrelevant data in a question is a practice to be endorsed. Out in the real world, most available data are irrelevant, and recognising which are relevant is an important skill.

9. May 16, 2013 #8
    That's true. Thanks for the explanations and help in general with that anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted