What is the thickness of the wall of a hollow iron sphere submerged in water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the thickness of the wall of a hollow iron sphere that is half submerged in water. The sphere has an outer diameter of 10 cm and an iron density of 7.9 g/m3. The conversation provides a solution using the buoyant force and the mass of the sphere, and the resulting thickness is 0.11 cm. The book, however, states that the correct thickness is 0.22 cm, indicating a possible error in the exercise.
kristjan

Homework Statement

Hollow iron sphere is half submerged in water.Sphere has outer diameter of 10 cm. Calculate thickness of the wall , when the iron density is 7.9 g / m3.
I get answer 0.11cm, book says that it is 0.22cm.

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

First i found buoyant force F=ρgV/2 where ρ is density of water and V is volume of a sphere.
Then I found mass of a sphere : ρgV/2=mg
m=0.26 kg
I know density of iron ,so: 7900=0.26/v where v is volume of the wall
(v= volume of outside sphere - volume of inside sphere.)
From there I get thikness of the wall to be 0.11cm.

Physics news on Phys.org
kristjan said:
half submerged in water.

kristjan said:
I get answer 0.11cm, book says that it is 0.22cm.
Your method looks correct. I agree with your answer of .11 cm.

Someone made my "intuitive" error while re-writing the exercise for the "n-th" edition; agreed, 0.11 cm.

1. How does a hollow sphere behave in water?

A hollow sphere in water will typically float due to the buoyant force of the water. The amount of water displaced by the sphere is equal to the weight of the sphere, causing it to float at the water's surface.

2. What factors affect the buoyancy of a hollow sphere in water?

The buoyancy of a hollow sphere in water is affected by the density of the sphere, the density of the water, and the volume of water displaced by the sphere. The more dense the sphere, the more likely it is to sink. Similarly, the denser the water, the easier it is for the sphere to float. The volume of water displaced by the sphere also plays a role, as a larger volume of water displaced will create a greater upward force.

3. How does the shape of a hollow sphere affect its buoyancy in water?

The shape of a hollow sphere does not typically affect its buoyancy in water, as long as the volume of water displaced remains the same. However, if the shape of the sphere changes, such as adding fins or protrusions, it may impact the buoyancy by changing the volume of water displaced or the distribution of weight.

4. Can a hollow sphere sink in water?

Yes, a hollow sphere can sink in water if it is made of a dense material or if its weight exceeds the amount of buoyant force it receives from the water. This can also occur if the sphere is damaged or if the water it is in is not deep enough to fully support its weight.

5. How does the size of the hollow sphere affect its buoyancy in water?

The size of a hollow sphere can impact its buoyancy in water, as a larger sphere will displace more water and therefore receive a greater upward force. However, if the density of the sphere remains constant, the buoyancy will still be determined by the weight of the sphere and the density of the water.