• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Tension Rope and Blocks Problem

Homework Statement

Two blocks, each with weight w, are held in place on a frictionless incline as shown in Figure. In terms of w and the angle a of the incline, calculate the tension in the rope connecting the blocks
chemistry_8f635c0b85d41ce64d978925fca6415e.jpg

Homework Equations

T = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot for figure out why the answer is Wsin(a)! I thought that since Tsin(a) = mg, T = w/sin(a)

Answers and Replies

You have to look at the forces that are pulling along the surface. The force pulling downwards the slope is ##F_d=mgsin(a)##, the force pulling up is just the tension ##T##. For the block to be not moving along the slope these two have to be equal to eachother.

gneill
Mentor

Homework Statement

Two blocks, each with weight w, are held in place on a frictionless incline as shown in Figure. In terms of w and the angle a of the incline, calculate the tension in the rope connecting the blocks
chemistry_8f635c0b85d41ce64d978925fca6415e.jpg

Homework Equations

T = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot for figure out why the answer is Wsin(a)! I thought that since Tsin(a) = mg, T = w/sin(a)
Hi DaveTan, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Take a close look at the geometry of a block on a slope. The weight W = Mg forms the hypotenuse of the force triangle:

Fig1.gif

Thanks! But shouldn't tension be pointing in the other direction? So towards the top-right instead of bottom left?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Thanks! But shouldn't tension be pointing in the other direction? So towards the top-right instead of bottom left?
Tension acts both ways (as does compression). The force it exerts on B will be up and to the right, that on A down and to the left.
By the way, the reason your original approach went wrong is that the vertical forces include a component of the normal force.