1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor components of a Hodge dual

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    If A is a p-vector and B is a (n-p)-vector, then the hodge dual, *A, is defined by:
    [TEX] A\ \wedge\ B = (*A,B)E \ \ \forall B\in \Lambda ^{(n-p)} [/TEX], where E=[TEX]e_1 \wedge\ ... \ \wedge e_n [/TEX]

I am having trouble in deriving the tensor components of the dual (n-p)-vector - *A.
    Specifically, I am getting stuck when I write down the components of the (n,0)-tensor on both sides and then comparing the coefficients - because, the LHS involves the antisymmetrization, [TEX] A^{[i_1 ... i_p}B^{j_1 ... j_{n-p} ] } [/TEX].
    I got stuck with the LHS even when I took B to be just a simple (n-p)-vector of basis vectors. Because, when I do that, I get the following (n,0)-tensor on LHS...
    [TEX]\frac{1}{n!} \sum_\sigma\ (-1)^\sigma\ A^{i_{\sigma (1)} ... i_{\sigma (p)}}\ \epsilon ^ {j_{\sigma (1)} ... j_{\sigma (n-p)}}\ \ e_{i_1}\otimes ... \otimes e_{i_p}\otimes e_{j_1} \otimes ... e_{j_{n-p}} [/TEX]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2008 #2
    Just a repost of the above message with clearer typesetting (and some more):

If A is a p-vector, then the hodge dual, [tex]*A[/tex] is a (n-p)-vector and is defined by:
    [tex] A\ \wedge\ B = (*A,B)E \ \ ,\ \forall B\in \Lambda ^{(n-p)} [/tex]

[tex]\ where,\ \ E = e_1 \wedge\ ... \ \wedge e_n [/tex]

I am having trouble in deriving the tensor components of the dual (n-p)-vector - [tex]*A[/tex] in an orthonormal basis.
    Specifically, I am getting stuck when I write down the components of the (n,0)-tensor on both sides and then comparing the coefficients - because, the LHS involves the antisymmetrization, [tex] A^{[i_1 ... i_p}B^{j_1 ... j_{n-p} ] }\ .[/tex]

I proceed as follows, taking B to be a simple (n-p)-vector of orthonormal basis vectors...
    [tex] i.e.\ \ Let\ B\ =\ e_{i_{p+1}}\ \wedge\ e_{i_{p+2}}\ \wedge\ ... \wedge\ e_{i_n}
    \ =\ \frac{1}{n!} \epsilon^{i_{p+1}, ... ,i_n}\ e_{i_{p+1}} \otimes ... \otimes e_{i_n} [/tex]
    where [tex] \epsilon [/tex] (epsilon) is the Levi-Civita symbol and [tex] e_{i_x} [/tex] (subscripted e) are the o.n. basis vectors.

[tex] LHS [/tex]
    [tex]=\ A\ \wedge\ B\ [/tex]
    [tex]=\ A^{[i_1 ... i_p}B^{j_1 ... j_{n-p} ] }\ e_{i_1}\otimes ... \otimes e_{i_p}\otimes e_{i_{p+1}} \otimes ... \otimes e_{i_n} [/tex]
    [tex] =\ \left(\ \frac{1}{n!} \sum_\sigma\ (-1)^\sigma\ A^{i_{\sigma (1)} ... i_{\sigma (p)}}\ \epsilon ^ {i_{\sigma (p+1)} ... i_{\sigma (n)}}\ \right)\ \ e_{i_1}\otimes ... \otimes e_{i_p}\otimes e_{i_{p+1}} \otimes ... \otimes e_{i_n} [/tex]

[tex] RHS [/tex]
    [tex] =\ (*A,B)\ E [/tex]
    [tex] =\ (*A,B)\ e_1 \wedge\ ... \ \wedge e_n [/tex]
    [tex] =\ \left(\ (*A,B)\ \frac{1}{n!}\ \epsilon^{i_1, ... ,i_p,i_{p+1}, ... ,i_n}\ \right) e_{i_1}\otimes ... \otimes e_{i_p}\otimes e_{i_{p+1}} \otimes ... \otimes e_{i_n} [/tex]
    [tex] =\ \left(\ \frac{1}{n!}\ \left(\ (n-p)!\ *A^{j_1,...,j_{n-p}} \epsilon_{j_1, ... ,j_{n-p}}\ \right)\ \epsilon^{i_1, ... ,i_p,i_{p+1}, ... ,i_n}\ \right) e_{i_1}\otimes ... \otimes e_{i_p}\otimes e_{i_{p+1}} \otimes ... \otimes e_{i_n} [/tex]

Any pointers on how to proceed further?

4. Dec 14, 2008 #3
    It might be easier just to try to figure out how a basis of k-forms transforms. I.e. what is the dual of e_1 ^ e_2 ^ ... ^ e_k? Then you can show that that the Hodge dual is linear and write your form A in terms of the basis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?