Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor in D-dimensional space crosswise with 2 vectors

1. Nov 24, 2015 #1
    I have 2 vectors ##\vec {V}=(v_1,v_2,v_3,v_4...v_D)## and ##\vec {X}=(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4...x_D)## in D-dimensional euclidean space.
    I want a tensor ,which is crosswise with both of them.

I think that the tensor is parallel with (D-2)-dimensional area, am I right?
    I do not know a lot about tensors ,so in answer please also explain me the notation that you used.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not exactly clear what you want. Do you mean a rank 2 tensor, which we could think of as a matrix? In that case, we can have two possible conditions:

1. ##\sum_j M_{ij} v_j =0##, or
    2. ##\sum_j v_j M_{ji}=0##.

You might also want both of these to be satisfied. These conditions are independent unless ##M## is symmetric, ##M_{ij}=M_{ji}##.

Either way, an analog of the Gram-Schmidt process allows you to start with any tensor ##M## and construct a new tensor ##M'## that satisfies one or both of these conditions. For instance, as long as ##|V|\neq 0##,
    $$ M'_{ij} = M_{ij} - \sum_k M_{ik} v_k \frac{v_j}{|V|^2}$$
    will satisfy ##\sum_j M'_{ij} v_j = 0##. The other combinations should be easy to work out.

Hopefully this component notation is familiar, or at least obvious to you.

4. Nov 25, 2015 #3
    I can´t explain ,what I mean ,in terms of tensor ,but I´ll try to explain it in terms of what I want it for:
    There are 4 vectors ##\vec V_1## ,##\vec V_2## ,##\vec X## and ##\vec F##.
    ##F⊥V_2##
    F is parallel with plane ,which is also parallel with vectors ##\vec X## and ##\vec V_1##

I know only value of vectors ##\vec X## and ##\vec V_1##. My friend knows only value of vector ##\vec V_2##. I want a tensor that I could give to my friend so he could calculate value of ##\vec F## without knowing vectors ##\vec X## and ##\vec V_1## separately.

5. Nov 26, 2015 #4
    Nb: by value I meant the vector itself not length of vector.

I there any such tensor at all ,I wanted? If there is not, it would be useful to learn that there is not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook