10.2 Determine if the set of vectors form a vector space

In summary, the set of vectors in $\begin{bmatrix} x\\y\\5 \end{bmatrix}\in \Bbb{R}^3$ do not form a vector space because they are not closed under addition, as shown by the example where the third component is 15. However, if the third component is 0, then the set is closed under multiplication and addition, making it a subspace. This is due to the fact that subspaces are by definition vector spaces in their own right.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Determine if the set of vectors
$\begin{bmatrix}
x\\y\\5
\end{bmatrix}\in \Bbb{R}^3$
form a vector space
ok if I follow the book example I think this is what is done
$\begin{bmatrix} x_1\\y_2\\5 \end{bmatrix}
+\begin{bmatrix} x_2\\y_2\\5 \end{bmatrix}
+\begin{bmatrix} x_2\\y_2\\5 \end{bmatrix}
=\begin{bmatrix} x_1+x_2+x_3\\y_1+y_2+y_3\\15 \end{bmatrix}$
since the third entry is 15, the set of such vectors is not closed under addition and hence is not a subspaceI assume in this case a vector space and sub space are the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
Right: sub spaces are by definition vector spaces in their own right. Your proof looks good to me! What if the third component was zero?

well if the 3rd conponent is zero then everying is just on the same plane
so multiplication or addition would close

well i think anyway?

Didn't you post this question somewhere else many moons ago? I could swear that I responded to this one at some point in the past.

-Dan

I don't think so

But I took linear Algebra a year ago it might be very similar..

They combined the LA and De class
Not sure why.

I mark the homework probs I go to MHB for help with the MHB logo to avoid dbb.

But I post a lot since I'm very deaf and classroom is nil to me.

Sorry I'm probably overload here

It wasn't a criticism. I was just wondering.

-Dan

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vectors and two operations, vector addition and scalar multiplication, that satisfy a set of axioms. These axioms include closure, associativity, commutativity, existence of an identity element, and existence of inverse elements.

2. How do you determine if a set of vectors forms a vector space?

To determine if a set of vectors forms a vector space, you need to check if the set satisfies all of the axioms of a vector space. This includes checking if the set is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, if the operations are associative and commutative, if there exists an identity element, and if each vector has an inverse element.

3. What is closure in a vector space?

Closure in a vector space means that when two vectors are added or multiplied by a scalar, the resulting vector is also in the set. This ensures that the set is closed under the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

4. Can a set of vectors form a vector space if it does not have an identity element?

No, a set of vectors cannot form a vector space without an identity element. The identity element is necessary for the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication to be well-defined and for the set to satisfy the axioms of a vector space.

5. What is the importance of determining if a set of vectors forms a vector space?

Determining if a set of vectors forms a vector space is important because vector spaces have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to represent physical quantities, such as forces and velocities, and to solve systems of linear equations. Additionally, understanding the properties of vector spaces is crucial in advanced topics such as linear algebra and functional analysis.