Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor transformations for change of coordinate system

1. Aug 12, 2011 #1
    In school I've always learned that tensor transformations took the form of:

[tex]\mathbf{Q'}=\mathbf{M} \times \mathbf{Q} \times \mathbf{M}^T [/tex]

However, in all the recent papers I've been reading. They've been doing the transformation as:

[tex]\mathbf{Q'}= \frac {\mathbf{M} \times \mathbf{Q} \times \mathbf{M}^T}{det(\mathbf{M})}[/tex]

Where Q is the tensor in question and M is the transformation matrix and M^T is the transpose of M.

Does anyone know why the difference?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2011 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Such on object is properly called a "tensor density". Specifically, it is a "tensor density of weight -1", since the determinant appears with the power -1.

4. Aug 12, 2011 #3
    I can't seem to find a clear definition of "tensor density" online. How does this differ (or provide an advantage) (practically, not mathematically) from a regular coordinate transformation? FYI, I'm trying to follow the transformation of a anisotropic density (actual matter density) in a paper.

5. Aug 12, 2011 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you even try Googling it? For your claim that you "can't find it", I have serious doubts.

6. Aug 15, 2011 #5
    Of course I tried googling it. I didn't say I didn't find ANY definitions, I said I couldn't find a CLEAR definition which included information pertaining to the entirety of the second sentence of my last post with an emphasis on the parenthetical parts. The online definitions basically say its a coordinate transformation with a weight to it based on a Jacobian determinant. Big whoop, those definitions tell me nothing about why it's used over a normal transformations. Why use a weight of -1 rather than 1000?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?