(Terminology) bijective correspondence between proper classes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the "bijective correspondence" between two classes of groups and the terminology to use for this correspondence. The participants consider using terms such as "map", "function", or "bijection", but due to the fact that the domain and codomain are not necessarily sets, they look for a more appropriate term. Jech's "Set theory" is referenced, where functions are defined as classes and the reader is reminded of this fact through careful wording. The suggestion is made to use the same terminology and clarify that classes are being dealt with. Ultimately, the participants agree that this terminology seems natural and suitable for their discussion.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm just looking for the right words to use to talk about something like the "bijective correspondence" between the class of groups defined as pairs and the class of groups defined as 4-tuples. I'm talking about the "map" ##(G,\star,i,e)\mapsto (G,\star)##. It seems to me that it shouldn't be called "map", "function", "bijection" or anything like that, since its "domain" and "codomain" aren't sets. So is there something we can call it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check Jech's "Set theory" page 11 and 12. He defines functions (and thus bijections, etc.) simply as classes. So a function isn't necessarily between set according to his terminology.

However, he does always seem to be careful to make sure the reader knows it's a class. For example, check the replacement schema on page 13. He says "If the class ##F## is a function then...". In this case, we know ##F## isn't necessarily a set and thus that the domain and codomain aren't necessarily sets. This is different from saying "Take the function ##F## then..." which is more ambiguous.

So if I were you, I would use the same terminology, but I would make it clear we're dealing with classes.

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed. I don't think I've seen those more general definitions of relation, function and operation before, but now that I have them in front of me, they seem very natural.

1. What is a bijective correspondence between proper classes?

A bijective correspondence between proper classes is a mathematical concept that describes a one-to-one and onto mapping between two proper classes. In other words, each element in the first proper class is paired with a unique element in the second proper class, and vice versa.

2. How is a bijective correspondence between proper classes different from a bijection between sets?

A bijective correspondence between proper classes is similar to a bijection between sets, but there are some key differences. First, proper classes are not sets and cannot be defined by a specific set of elements. Additionally, a bijective correspondence between proper classes does not necessarily preserve the structure or operations of the classes, while a bijection between sets does.

3. Can a bijective correspondence exist between two proper classes of different cardinality?

No, a bijective correspondence can only exist between two proper classes of the same cardinality. This is because a bijective correspondence requires that each element in one class is paired with a unique element in the other class, and if the cardinalities are different, there will be elements without a corresponding pair.

4. How is a bijective correspondence between proper classes useful in mathematics?

A bijective correspondence between proper classes is useful in mathematics as it allows for a deeper understanding and comparison of different structures and concepts. It can also be used to prove equivalences between different mathematical theories and to establish connections between seemingly unrelated topics.

5. Are there any limitations to using a bijective correspondence between proper classes?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a bijective correspondence between proper classes. First, it can only be used on proper classes that are well-defined and consistent. Additionally, it cannot be used to compare proper classes with different structures or operations. Lastly, it is important to note that a bijective correspondence does not necessarily imply an equality between the two classes, as they may still have distinct properties and characteristics.