Terminology: Dwarf Planet vs. ProtoPlanet

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the terms "protoplanets" and "dwarf planets" in relation to objects in the solar system. It is agreed that protoplanets are still in the process of forming and have the potential to become planets, while dwarf planets have reached their maximum size. The conversation also mentions the International Astronomical Union's discussion about Pluto and the use of the term "dwarf planet."
DaveC426913
Gold Member
For a Grade 9 textbook:

"Many more objects exist in the solar system besides the eight major planets. These are smaller and include moons, comets, protoplanets, such as Pluto, and tiny grains of dust and ice."

Is this acceptably-worded or is it misleading?

My take is that the term "protoplanet" refers to planetesimals that are part of a young still-forming system and have the potential to grow into planets. "Dwarf planets" are pretty much all they're ever going to be.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I agree. Protoplanet suggests they're still in the process of forming, which is certainly not the case.

I'm hoping for an authoritative answer from someone who knows these things so I can defend it to the editor.

The IAU discussion about pluto calls them dwarf planets.
I have only seen protoplanet in the context of a proto-planetary disk

I would say that the terminology used in this textbook is somewhat misleading. While it is true that there are many objects in the solar system besides the eight major planets, the term "protoplanet" is not commonly used to refer to objects such as Pluto.

In scientific literature, the term "protoplanet" is typically used to describe early-stage objects in the process of planet formation, rather than objects that have already formed and are considered to be dwarf planets.

It would be more accurate to say that Pluto is a dwarf planet, rather than a protoplanet. Additionally, it is important to note that the term "dwarf planet" was only officially defined by the International Astronomical Union in 2006, so it may not be included in older textbooks.

Overall, I would suggest using the term "dwarf planet" when referring to objects like Pluto, and reserving the term "protoplanet" for objects that are still in the process of forming.

1. What is the difference between a dwarf planet and a protoplanet?

A dwarf planet is a celestial body that orbits the sun and has enough mass to form a nearly round shape, but has not cleared its orbit of other objects. A protoplanet is a smaller celestial body that is in the process of forming into a planet, and may eventually clear its orbit and become a full-sized planet.

2. How do scientists determine if a celestial body is a dwarf planet or a protoplanet?

Scientists use several criteria to determine if a celestial body is a dwarf planet or a protoplanet. These include size, shape, composition, and ability to clear its orbit of other objects. Additionally, the body must not be a satellite of another planet and must not have undergone fusion to become a star.

3. Are there any known dwarf planets or protoplanets in our solar system?

Yes, there are several known dwarf planets in our solar system, including Pluto, Ceres, Eris, Haumea, and Makemake. There are also several known protoplanets, such as Vesta and Pallas, which are located in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

4. Can a celestial body be both a dwarf planet and a protoplanet?

No, a celestial body cannot be both a dwarf planet and a protoplanet. It is either in the process of forming into a planet (protoplanet) or has already formed but did not meet the criteria to be classified as a full-sized planet (dwarf planet).

5. What is the significance of the terms "dwarf planet" and "protoplanet" in astronomy?

The terms "dwarf planet" and "protoplanet" are significant in astronomy because they help us classify and understand the different types of celestial bodies in our solar system. They also provide valuable information about the formation and evolution of our solar system, as well as the potential for other planets to form in other star systems.