Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Terrorist Attack in France 84 dead and counting

1. Jul 14, 2016 #1
    More details are yet to come through, but two events have happened in France today which are not good:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/82135091/live-french-truck-crash-at-bastille-celebrations
    and

http://www.newshub.co.nz/world/eiffel-tower-on-fire-after-explosion-2016071510?ref=newshubFB

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2016 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have relatives in Nice that could have been in attendance. The driver is said to have been shooting while driving and was shot and killed.

Also, I have family in Paris, but initial reports say no one was injured in the fireworks explosion, but I guess it's too soon to tell.

4. Jul 14, 2016 #3

Evo

Seems it is worse than originally reported.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/14/europe/nice-france-truck/index.html

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  5. Jul 14, 2016 #4
    Absolutely bonkers :cry:

6. Jul 14, 2016 #5

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

An horrific tragedy to occur on a day of celebration in France. My heart and sympathies goes to the French people. :frown::cry:

I know it's still early days in the investigation, but I am curious if we know anything about the driver of that truck in Nice, and whether there are any connections to terrorist groups (especially given the past attacks in Paris).

7. Jul 14, 2016 #6

Evo

Right now they are assuming it is at least an ISIS sympathizer from listening to the CNN interviews with Trump and Clinton.

8. Jul 14, 2016 #7

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

While this may be the case, I would be careful not to make any assumptions, particularly based on statements coming from Trump.

9. Jul 14, 2016 #8

Evo

Yeah, he declared war while talking to Wolf Blitzer. o:)

10. Jul 14, 2016 #9
    I wonder how much longer people would rather not offend anyone than to take an honest look at the world with respect to religion - maybe it's finally starting to settle in what the cost of walking on eggshells is.

11. Jul 14, 2016 #10
    I can't wait to see the left call everyone Islamophobic again.

12. Jul 15, 2016 #11

Evo

This is so sad.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/know-nice-truck-attack-033703873.html

13. Jul 15, 2016 #12

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess that it's fortunate that he didn't have time to set off the explosives. Still, so many senselessly killed yet again.

14. Jul 15, 2016 #13

Evo

This one was especially bad as there were many children, babies, handicapped, this wasn't a nightclub, sporting event or late night cafe. I saw a picture of a small dead child with her teddy bear.

15. Jul 15, 2016 #14
    let me guess: the terrorist was islamic

16. Jul 15, 2016 #15

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The latest news report that I saw this morning was that the guns and grenades that were on the truck were all fake except for the gun that he was shooting with. So, my previous comment is moot - he did everything that he could with what he had before the police could stop him. This type of random attack is going to be very difficult to detect and defeat.

17. Jul 15, 2016 #16

mheslep

Gold Member

Trump, Clinton, and even Obama have said the US is at war with terrorism. Repeatedly.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  18. Jul 15, 2016 #17

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

19. Jul 15, 2016 #18
    As has just about everyone in the world, as well as acknowledging that the terrorists are Muslim extremists, which is why I don't know what people are supposedly not saying in order to avoid hurting others' feelings (I'm referring to dipole's post now). I think I have an idea, and it may shock some to know that I don't say it because I disagree with it, and not because I secretly do agree but won't say it because of PC. The PC conspiracy theories are getting a little old around here lately.

20. Jul 15, 2016 #19

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

How is everybody walking on eggshells? Is there a problem with extremic islam? Definitely, a big one. Is there a problem with many (mostly young) muslims radicalizing, yes. What more are you referring to?

I can't wait to see the right call all muslims terrorists and/or call all leftists naive.

21. Jul 15, 2016 #20
    MSNBC called it a "truck crash"

Today show ommitted the name of the driver and, instead, called him "a french citizen"

NPR is stating the motivation is still unknown

CNN said they don't know the attacker's motivation and that there's strong evidence he wasn't a muslim

Hillary Clinton – Verified account ‏@HillaryClinton
    "Let’s be clear: Islam is not our adversary. Muslims are peaceful and tolerant people and have nothing whatsoever to do with terrorism."
    7:57 AM - 19 Nov 2015

etc. etc.

What planet are you living on?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted