Test functions for tempered distributions: analytic?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using test functions of a complex variable in the context of tempered distributions and the possibility of analytic continuation of these functions to a strip including the real axis. The participants also touch on the Cauchy principle value and contour integration techniques in relation to Fourier transforms and the Carleman theory of generalised functions. The conversation concludes with a theorem stating that there exists a function that is analytic and satisfies certain conditions for a given continuous function.
jasonRF
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When considering tempered distributions, I am only aware of the definition of test functions of a real variable. However, is it okay to use test functions of a complex variable z that are analytic in a strip that includes the real axis? (of course they still must fall off fast enough as the real part of z goes to +/- infinity). I know of at least one test function of a real variable, [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] for whom the analytic continuation to the strip is trivial.

I am asking because (just for fun) I am looking at the Fourier transform of the Heaviside step function, [itex]u(t)[/itex] that is zero for t<0 and one for t>0. If we let [itex]\hat{f} [/itex] denote the Fourier transform of an arbitrary [itex]f[/itex] (test function or distribution), and let [itex]\psi[/itex] be a test function, then by definition of the Fourier transform for distributions
[tex]
\langle \hat{u}, \psi \rangle = \langle u, \hat{\psi} \rangle = \int_0^{\infty} dx\, \int_{-\infty}^\infty dt\, e^{-i x t} \psi(t)
[/tex]
I want to swap the order of integration but cannot since the reverse order integral is not defined. However, the above integral is well behaved so it should be equal to
[tex]
\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \int_0^{\infty} dx\, e^{-\epsilon x} \int_{-\infty}^\infty dt\, e^{-i x t} \psi(t).
[/tex]
Now I can swap the order of integration and perform the first integration to obtain,
[tex]
\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{i} \int_{-\infty}^\infty dt\, \frac{\psi(t)}{t - i \epsilon}.
[/tex]

This is where I would like [itex]\psi[/itex] to be analytic in a strip including the real axis and extending into the lower half plane (even by just a little bit). In that case the above integral is simple by contour integral techniques - the integral is along the real axis and as [itex]\epsilon \rightarrow 0[/itex] we indent the contour into the lower half plane and I get
[tex]
\langle \hat{u}, \psi \rangle = \pi \psi(0) + PV\int_{-\infty}^\infty dt\, \frac{\psi(t)}{it}
[/tex]
where [itex]PV[/itex] indicates the Cauchy principle value (symmetric limits about t=0). Hence,
[tex]
\hat{u}(x) = \pi \delta(x) + PV \frac{1}{ix}.
[/tex]
It works out so nice it seems like it should be fine to do this, but lots of things can be done formally that make no sense! Everything up to where I want to use contour integration is easy to find in textbooks (right now I am looking at "waves and distributions" by Jonsson and Yngvason), but I don't see authors doing the last step with contour integration and I am wondering if there is a reason - I am guessing there is but I just don't see it.

Thanks,

Jason

Physics news on Phys.org
I have convinced myself that what I did was legitimate. For a test functions of a real variable, [itex]f(t)[/itex], the Fourier tranform
[tex]
\hat{f}(z) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dt\, e^{-i z t} f(t)
[/tex]
is an analytic function of [itex]z[/itex] in a strip including the real axis. Likewise for inverse Fourier transforms. Combined with the fact that Fourier transforms of test functions are also test functions and it follows that test functions are analytic in a strip including the real axis.

I think my hang-up was that I wasn't sure all test functions could be continued off of the real axis - now I am convinced that they can be, although it was in a roundabout, inelegant way!

jason

This is called the Carleman theory of generalised functions. See Chapter 4 of Hoskins and Pinto Distributions, ultradistributions and other generalised functions.

I think my hang-up was that I wasn't sure all test functions could be continued off of the real axis

Not analytically. Analytic functions have only isolated zeroes, so there is no extension of a non-zero test function which happens to be zero on an interval. However
Theorem Let ##f \in L^p(\mathbb{R})## be continuous with ##p \geq 1##. Then there exists ##f^{\circ} : \mathbb{C}\setminus\mathbb{R} \to\mathbb{C}## which is analytic and satisfies
##\lim_{\epsilon\to 0+}\left[ f^{\circ}(x+i\epsilon) - f^{\circ}(x-i\epsilon) \right] = f(x)##
the convergence being locally uniform on ##\mathbb{R}##

Likes 1 person
pwsnafu said:
Not analytically. Analytic functions have only isolated zeroes, so there is no extension of a non-zero test function which happens to be zero on an interval.

Good point. Since I was using tempered distributions the test functions are not required to have compact support so I was implicitly assuming they did not vanish on an interval - but certainly functions with compact support (or that vanish on an interval) are a subset of the test functions.

I'll have to see if our library has that book.

pwsnafu said:
However
Theorem Let ##f \in L^p(\mathbb{R})## be continuous with ##p \geq 1##. Then there exists ##f^{\circ} : \mathbb{C}\setminus\mathbb{R} \to\mathbb{C}## which is analytic and satisfies
##\lim_{\epsilon\to 0+}\left[ f^{\circ}(x+i\epsilon) - f^{\circ}(x-i\epsilon) \right] = f(x)##
the convergence being locally uniform on ##\mathbb{R}##

Nice. I supposedly learned some distribution theory as an undergrad (an applied analysis class that covered 2/3 complex analysis and 1/3 distribution theory) but I didn't really understand the details at the time and I am sure we never saw such a nice connection to analytic functions.

Thanks

I appreciate your curiosity and exploration of the concept of test functions for tempered distributions. It is an important topic in mathematics and has applications in various fields of science.

In response to your question, it is indeed possible to use test functions of a complex variable that are analytic in a strip that includes the real axis. This is known as the space of analytic test functions and is commonly used in the theory of tempered distributions. In fact, the test function e^{-x^2} that you mentioned is a well-known example of such a function.

As for your approach to finding the Fourier transform of the Heaviside step function, it is important to note that the concept of contour integration is not applicable to distributions. Distributions are generalized functions that do not have a well-defined value at a single point, which is necessary for contour integration. Therefore, the last step of your approach may not be valid.

I would suggest consulting with a mathematician or a more specialized textbook on tempered distributions for a more rigorous treatment of the topic. It is always important to be cautious and make sure that our mathematical methods are valid before using them in scientific applications.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Keep exploring and asking questions, that's what being a scientist is all about!

1. What are test functions for tempered distributions?

Test functions for tempered distributions are smooth functions that are used to test the behavior and properties of tempered distributions. They are typically infinitely differentiable and have compact support, meaning they are non-zero only on a bounded interval.

2. How are test functions used in the context of tempered distributions?

Test functions are used to multiply and integrate with tempered distributions in order to define operations such as differentiation and convolution. They also allow for the construction of the space of tempered distributions.

3. Can test functions for tempered distributions be non-analytic?

Yes, test functions for tempered distributions can be non-analytic. The requirement for these functions is that they are smooth and have compact support, but they do not need to be analytic.

4. What is the importance of analytic test functions for tempered distributions?

Analytic test functions are useful because they allow for the extension of certain properties and operations from the space of analytic functions to the larger space of tempered distributions. This allows for a wider range of functions to be tested and studied using the theory of tempered distributions.

5. How are test functions for tempered distributions related to the Fourier transform?

Test functions play an important role in the definition and properties of the Fourier transform of tempered distributions. In particular, they are used to define the Fourier transform of a tempered distribution as an integral over the space of test functions, and they also help to characterize the behavior of the Fourier transform on tempered distributions.