Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Texas death row inmate pulls out eye, eats it

1. Jan 9, 2009 #1
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090110/ap_on_re_us/death_row_eye
    I can't believe they're going to execute him at all. If this isn't proof enough that he's insane, what would be?

Here's his offender info: http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/thomasandre.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2009 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Isn't anyone guilty of what we consider a heinous crime insane?

4. Jan 9, 2009 #3
    Legally? I wouldn't think so. I thought it depended on whether the perp understood the difference between right and wrong. Thomas seems to think it okay to pull out his eye for a snack, so... yeah. I don't think he grasps fully the consequences of his actions where others would have no difficulty. And others still commit heinous crimes.

5. Jan 9, 2009 #4
    What makes you think he does not understand what he did?

6. Jan 9, 2009 #5
    Oh, I'm sure he understood what he did. I just don't believe he appreciates the results. With his mind, he can never live a meaningful life without therapy.

Contrast with another murderer, someone who can reason what he did was wrong and has everything he needs to become a decent man, an asset to his community.

7. Jan 9, 2009 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wish I could block this thread....:yuck:

8. Jan 9, 2009 #7
    Andre Thomas can. :tongue:

Oh, lisab. Your choice of smilie!

9. Jan 9, 2009 #8
    they asked him why he ate his eye and he said "It looked good" bad grammar, but sane.

10. Jan 9, 2009 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

So, you are agreeing that this man is not someone that has a possibility of becoming a "decent man".

11. Jan 9, 2009 #10
    Which man are you referring to? I think Thomas can not live life further as a decent man, where many other murderers could.

12. Jan 9, 2009 #11
    I think once someone murders someone, living life as a decent man kinda goes out the window.

13. Jan 9, 2009 #12
    I don't know. I get by okay.

14. Jan 9, 2009 #13

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did anyone see him eat it? Perhaps he's trying to escape one bit at a time!

15. Jan 10, 2009 #14
    So he should get out on an insanity plea while the ones who could theoretically live life as decent people oughtn't? LOL! sorry... that just sounds rather silly.

16. Jan 10, 2009 #15
    Justice is blind.

17. Jan 10, 2009 #16
    Not so. I've known three murderers that I'm aware of (two did their time, one was never charged) who were quite decent and harmless afterwards. There is a great difference between a situational crime, such as Jean Valjean stealing bread, an insanity crime, such as Jeffrey Dahmer committed, and a deliberate crime, such as those done by Albert Anastasia.

Situational crimes usually occur once, are not easily deterred, and really don't require retribution. Insanity crimes occur because of an illness; if the illness can be treated, there's no need for punishment, if not, we may as well execute the person. Deliberate crimes are beyond the pale of society and the perpetrators need to be excluded, most conveniently by execution, no matter whether the crime is embezzlement or murder. We kill people for the good of society, not to reform the criminal.

18. Jan 10, 2009 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So we should only execute those capable of being an asset to their community?

19. Jan 10, 2009 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Turns out that the guy in the next cell had asked Thomas to keep an eye out for lunch, but the intent of this statement was misunderstood.

We have had a string of murders around here. The victims are often found in a bathtub full of milk, so the authorities are suspicious that it's a cereal killer.

20. Jan 10, 2009 #19
    I wish he would crack his head and try to eat his brain.

21. Jan 10, 2009 #20
    OMG Ivan, I long ago thought I had toughened myself up enough, to never snort coffee out my nose while on PF. I'm here to inform you, I was wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?