Texas death row inmate pulls out eye, eats it

• Thread starter OAQfirst
  • Start date
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090110/ap_on_re_us/death_row_eye [Broken]
HOUSTON – A Texas death row inmate with a history of mental problems pulled out his only good eye and told authorities he ate it. Andre Thomas, 25, was arrested for the fatal stabbings of his estranged wife, their young son and her 13-month-old daughter in March 2004. Their hearts also had been ripped out. He was convicted and condemned for the infant's death.
I can't believe they're going to execute him at all. If this isn't proof enough that he's insane, what would be?

Here's his offender info: http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/thomasandre.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Evo
Mentor
Isn't anyone guilty of what we consider a heinous crime insane?

Legally? I wouldn't think so. I thought it depended on whether the perp understood the difference between right and wrong. Thomas seems to think it okay to pull out his eye for a snack, so... yeah. I don't think he grasps fully the consequences of his actions where others would have no difficulty. And others still commit heinous crimes.

What makes you think he does not understand what he did?

Oh, I'm sure he understood what he did. I just don't believe he appreciates the results. With his mind, he can never live a meaningful life without therapy.

Contrast with another murderer, someone who can reason what he did was wrong and has everything he needs to become a decent man, an asset to his community.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I wish I could block this thread....:yuck:

Andre Thomas can. :tongue:

Oh, lisab. Your choice of smilie!

they asked him why he ate his eye and he said "It looked good" bad grammar, but sane.

Evo
Mentor
Contrast with another murderer, someone who can reason what he did was wrong and has everything he needs to become a decent man, an asset to his community.
So, you are agreeing that this man is not someone that has a possibility of becoming a "decent man".

Which man are you referring to? I think Thomas can not live life further as a decent man, where many other murderers could.

I think once someone murders someone, living life as a decent man kinda goes out the window.

I think once someone murders someone, living life as a decent man kinda goes out the window.
I don't know. I get by okay.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Did anyone see him eat it? Perhaps he's trying to escape one bit at a time!

Which man are you referring to? I think Thomas can not live life further as a decent man, where many other murderers could.
So he should get out on an insanity plea while the ones who could theoretically live life as decent people oughtn't? LOL! sorry... that just sounds rather silly.

Justice is blind.

Not so. I've known three murderers that I'm aware of (two did their time, one was never charged) who were quite decent and harmless afterwards. There is a great difference between a situational crime, such as Jean Valjean stealing bread, an insanity crime, such as Jeffrey Dahmer committed, and a deliberate crime, such as those done by Albert Anastasia.

Situational crimes usually occur once, are not easily deterred, and really don't require retribution. Insanity crimes occur because of an illness; if the illness can be treated, there's no need for punishment, if not, we may as well execute the person. Deliberate crimes are beyond the pale of society and the perpetrators need to be excluded, most conveniently by execution, no matter whether the crime is embezzlement or murder. We kill people for the good of society, not to reform the criminal.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So we should only execute those capable of being an asset to their community?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Turns out that the guy in the next cell had asked Thomas to keep an eye out for lunch, but the intent of this statement was misunderstood.

We have had a string of murders around here. The victims are often found in a bathtub full of milk, so the authorities are suspicious that it's a cereal killer.

I wish he would crack his head and try to eat his brain.

OMG Ivan, I long ago thought I had toughened myself up enough, to never snort coffee out my nose while on PF. I'm here to inform you, I was wrong.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Glad to be of service.

There is no reason to keep people like this alive, whether it be in prison or in the free world. I'd through the switch myself if they would let me.

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There is no reason to keep people like this alive, whether it be in prison or in the free world.
Of course there is reason to keep people like this alive -- it's exactly the same reason that justifies keeping people like you and me alive.

The question is whether or not the reasons to keep people like this alive outweigh the reasons to kill him.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The question is whether or not the reasons to keep people like this alive outweigh the reasons to kill him.
So life and death is reduced to a logic problem?

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
So life and death is reduced to a logic problem?
No, we do not have to descend that far, we can stop on the level of logistics instead. :smile: